Shoutbox

Author Topic: Why CAN'T PvP'ers RP?  (Read 13206 times)

Offline Aidá

• View Profile
Why CAN'T PvP'ers RP?
« on: 07/06/12, 01:01:36 AM »
Why CAN’T pvp’ers RP!?

I’ve often been asked why I’m not playing on a “PvP” server considering how often I like to charge my blasters and head into battle.  While it’s true, I DO love PvP and it usually is what dominates the time I spend logged on that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy RP as well.  Why can’t a player enjoy and be good at both?  Why don’t we see more RP efforts going into the Warzones between the Republic and the Empire?  And would it be so bad to make an effort to change this?

I’ve spent some time thinking over these questions lately and the best I can come up with is that there are pros and cons to role-playing amidst a hostile skirmish.  I’d like to start by saying that I don’t consider MYSELF to be very exceptional at either PvP or RP but I enjoy participating in both.   I can hold my own on the battlefield, bearing the two blasters of my overpowered class.  More often than not I can keep a conversation going and throw some spontaneity in there for a laugh or two but I would hardly consider myself an expert in either realm.  With that in mind these are just the opinions of one competitive girl who happens to enjoy assuming the role of her character as well.

Pro: Even the most simple compliment or emote directed at a player or a team can often lift the spirits of the team as a whole, thus motivating them to not only endure and fight the good fight but enjoy themselves while doing so.  I don’t know about others but I play much better when I’m enjoying the game and receiving a compliment with effort put into it rather than a simple “gj” in the ops chat goes a long way towards boosting my numbers.  I feel empowered when my teammates get into the fight, cheer me on or even display some good sportsmanship towards the opposing team.

Con: its one thing to jest and tease a team, making the battle more interesting, intense and all around fun. It’s another to be a complete prick and kick someone when they’re down.  While I encourage emoting in a warzone I think players should be respectful, EVEN of the opposing team.  /Spitting on someone who’s getting raped 6 to nothing in the Pit isn’t exactly what I’d call good spirited role-play.  However, blowing a kiss to a healer just before delivering a fatal critical hit brings the battle to life and motivates both sides to increase the intensity and compete with their heart in it.

Pro: Let’s face it, PvP is fun but can be tedious at times. For instance being on the ass end of a rape job aboard the Voidstar, banging your head against the first door for ten straight minutes with little to show for it but some bruises and a meager pity prize of commendations.  Getting into the fight and charging it up a bit with some light hearted RP can make even the most mind numbingly bitter losses tolerable at the very least. 

Con:  Pick your moments!  I’d like to be clear that while I encourage RP in the Warzone setting you may end up frustrating more than most if you emote *Picks daisies and makes a chain, placing it upon her gold locks and smiling like a spice-fiend* while the control panel of the Northwest bunker is being sliced on the coasts of Novar.  Instead, be a smart player.  When you’re team is at an advantage and green is overflowing on the screen take the time to throw something out there but keep your heart and head in the battle.

Pro: It’s easy to get caught up in wins and losses in the world of PvP if you’re anywhere near as competitive as I am.  A lot of times players get so caught up in winning they forget they they’re playing a game and games are meant to be fun.  Seeing RP in a warzone reminds me that the numbers that appear at the end of the battle are simply a loading screen players are forced to sit through during the wait to hit the “exit warzone” button.  However if you have fun in a warzone, win or lose you’re gaining much more out of your subscription than just commendations.  This makes a battle memorable as opposed to being a mundane passing of 10-20 minutes.

Con: On the flipside don’t forget that the point of a warzone IS in fact to compete and nobody LIKES to lose repetitively.  Just like anything else that is enjoyable in this life you have to pick your moments I guess is what I’m trying to say.  While a game is meant to be fun, a game is also meant to be won…

Pro:  RP’ing in a PvP setting exposes players to role-play that might have simply never experienced it before.  They may find that they do in fact enjoy RP once they put some effort into their character.  This is an easy way to broaden the RP population within our server by exposing good role-play to broader audiences, reaching further than the cantinas.  Likewise, including PvP into your RP can expose role-players to new aspects of the game they’ve overlooked like the thrill of actually overcoming the enemies they claim to despise in their prose.

Con:  There IS a misconception that RP does not belong in PvP but we are ALL of an RP server.  The truth is you’re just as likely to get grief anywhere outside of the Cantina’s and you are in an Warzone simulator when you partake because the truth remains that some people are just assholes.  This shouldn’t deter us from helping the role-playing community thrive in the ALL aspects of the Bergeren Colony.  While 6 of the 8 people on your team may be frowning at the end at least you brought a smile to the 1 other.  And don’t pay too much mind. The other 6 were frowning before the match even started and they’ll be frowning through their next queue as well… PvP’ers can be bitter, teeehee.

Contradictory to what I just said there is no set mold from which all PvP’ers and RP’ers alike originate from.  The only rules and bounds set against us in this game are the ones that we the active players impose on ourselves.  I for one would LOVE to see more role-play in my competitive battles.  Likewise I’d like to see more PvP in our role-play.  Its one thing to talk up a storm against some feeble Pub in a neutral cantina but it’s a whole other to experience it, bringing threats to life, victories to the deserving and shame to the defeated.  Experience all aspects of the game and you’ll get that much more out of your subscription.

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
Re: Why CAN'T PvP'ers RP?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/12, 08:32:04 AM »
I RP, and I PvP, but I don't RP in warzones.

What I will do is make jokes in ops chat if we're winning, chat in say with whoever happens to be stuck guarding the left or right turret with me in Alderaan, and in the event that we're losing badly and I recognise players on the opposing team, I'll go and chat with them :p

I've also complimented certain Empire players, and perhaps after a match in which I've spent 90% of my time killing or trying to kill healers, I'll give them a hug at the end.

I find I rarely have time to type anything at all while actively participating in a fight. Doing so would generally mean a critical error on my part >.>

To me, PvP is an inherently OOC activity (as in, my character isn't there and would never participate in such IC). I love huttball, but my character despises the cruelty of it. Thus, I'm always OOC when in warzones :)
The Communist Domino >.>

Alma

« Reply #2 on: 07/06/12, 09:15:11 AM »
I'm not sure to what extent you could RP during the match. If you're anywhere around the other team, you're normally going to be pressing keys too fast to be able to do much more than do a simple / command. Maybe it's lack of imagination on my part, but I don't know why there'd be Jedi or Dark lords of the Sith playing huttball :P The same extends to Voidstar and Denova, I wouldn't know how to RP any of those situations.

I just couldn't take any RP in a warzone as serious XD. But if I happen upon you I'll /hug you!

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/06/12, 09:32:21 AM »
I treat warzones as "abstract IC," that is, not a literal recording of events but rather a loose representation of one's character engaging in conflict. If I play a round of Civil War and recognize an RPer on the other side, I may later make vague comments about doing battle on Alderaan. Voidstar represents ship-board actions. Novare Coast could be most any Republic/Empire battle. Huttball is the only real exception, and in that case I mostly ignore it.
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Remmi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/06/12, 11:04:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure if Remmi IC kicked a Sith in the nuts, it would be the last thing she ever did.

"I regret nothing!" /die
Characters:
Remira - Republic Pilot
Mae'lorai - Jedi Sage
Aldrea - Jedi Padawan
Melaena - Imperial Force-user
Xanae - Sith Assassin

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/06/12, 11:08:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure if Remmi IC kicked a Sith in the nuts, it would be the last thing she ever did.

"I regret nothing!" /die

QFT. :D
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Offline Aidá

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/06/12, 01:38:33 PM »
Thanks for all your responses.  I can certainly relate to some of the points made i.e. not having enough time to even type a /hug while being raped by the opposing forces. I guess you just have to pick your moments.  I just wanted to bring it up.  I can think of a couple instances where rivals have turned into friends.  It wasn't long ago that I was fighting for turrets on Alderaan and the Empire clearly had the upper hand.  All three turrets were under our control and one of my many rivals spotted me and we exchanged several emotes and /say's.  We agreed to meet at the Slippery Slopes after the battle and we had a great time getting to know each other thereafter.  I just brought up this post to open the door and see what kind of opinions other people had concerning merging the worlds of PvP and RP.
« Last Edit: 07/06/12, 01:42:34 PM by White Knight »

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/06/12, 01:58:17 PM »
There's nothing wrong at all with treating people politely and cordially in PvP. Indeed, if everyone did, there'd be far less angst involved ^^

I have a healthy respect for certain people on both factions in PvP, and I'm sure they know that!

Occasionally you'll have amusing moments in PvP brought about by chat. I once meant to type 'kill so and so' into /ops, and placed it in /say instead...while shooting said person.

They made a :( face and said 'No, Kill Jovia!'

Little things like that can be great fun.
The Communist Domino >.>

Aiden Baail

« Reply #8 on: 07/06/12, 03:51:25 PM »
I PvP a lot! And also RP a lot! But But I don't RP in warzones, because I don't know why my character would be playing a sport where he'd probably die. I have occasionally mentioned something that happened in a WZ IC'ly, but that is after the fact.

Also for future reference, try not to use the word "rape" so loosely, it carries a lot of negative baggage behind it   and probably (Definitely  ) shouldn't be used discussing shooting pewpew lasers at space wizards

Offline Vyuka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/06/12, 03:56:47 PM »
all for the general idea, but i've the same reasons as Jovia. (That and I'm waaaaay too lazy)
The only WZ I could stretch actually seeing Vyuka being in the middle of is Alderaan, or Novare Coast (but the only thing I'd say is "looks like we're going... Novare fast." and likely be /ignore'd by those with me :D)
But my generally rule of thumb is that if I'm talked to in an IC-fashion, I'll likely give an IC response. And Iaera put it pretty good. Abstract IC. Love it. Never knew what to call that. Am using.
Doubts will try to break you; unleash your heart and soul. Trouble will surround you, start taking some control. Stand up and deliver your wildest fantasy. Do what the kriff you want to, there's no one to appease

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/06/12, 04:42:42 PM »
Also for future reference, try not to use the word "rape" so loosely, it carries a lot of negative baggage behind it   and probably (Definitely  ) shouldn't be used discussing shooting pewpew lasers at space wizards

/arbiter mode engaged.

Without derailing this thread from its original intentions, the word in question is one which indeed carries only negative connotations, and has the potential to make people very uncomfortable. I'm certain this wasn't Aida's intention, as the word has unfortunately long ago been adopted by the gaming community to represent something else. That's not an excuse, and I wholeheartedly agree that it's not a word that should ever be flung around so casually, but it does provide reasoning behind Aida's usage in this instance.

I don't think we need any more discussion regarding it in this thread, however! Aida, feel free to PM me if you have any need to discuss! *waves*

/end arbiter mode.

Carry on!
The Communist Domino >.>

Offline Aidá

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/06/12, 06:51:11 PM »
First of all I'd like to apologize to Aiden or ANYbody I may've offended with my word choice. Secondly I'd like to add to my post that I was predominantly talking about pre-50 warzones.  Jovia, I've fought against you and the intenseness of the fight speaks for itself.  Once you hit level 50 PvP is taken VERY seriously by some and I could see why you would not RP in that kind of setting. In my eyes, pre-50 PvP and endgame are kind of two seperate realms.

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/06/12, 07:26:00 PM »
Oh, for sure! Pre-50, PvP is an entirely different game, and not taken nearly as seriously, as you say!

It's certainly a lot more casual than endgame PvP.
The Communist Domino >.>

Offline Shafferism

• Nothing Special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/06/12, 09:43:38 PM »
I simply do not RP in warzones because I struggle enough just pressing buttons, even while winning. I think that some people can sympathize. I'd totally rp in warzones (well, on some characters, a journalist running around shooting people in a warzone doesn't make sense...), but as I've said, it's difficult to do that and try to win at the same time.
« Last Edit: 07/06/12, 09:46:51 PM by Shafferism »
Currently levelling-

(Character list: Da'an, Horace, Sleth, Shaffer, Lazy-eye, Kaadus, Rhomen)

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/06/12, 10:57:42 PM »
Yeah, the closest I do to RP in warzones is respond to whispers IC while waiting for the respawn door to open, or /clubdance while guarding a control point :D.

Pretty much just a matter of "I'm kinda busy here, fight doesn't really stop that much."

Its also hard to justify IC the whole "I thought you were dead?" "Yeah, that hurt, I got better though" bit...
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

"smalltext" style="display: inline; visibility: visible; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;">SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
TinyPortal 1.6.4 © 2005-2019
  • XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2