Shoutbox

Author Topic: Treaty of Coruscant and Recent Galactic History [SPOILERS]  (Read 18750 times)

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
So, I've come across a fair amount of confusion concerning astrogation, the Treaty of Coruscant, and recent history. Because of this, I've decided to do a short write-up (with pictures!) of the changes in galactic politics since the rise of the new Sith Empire. This is the best I've been able to trow together, based on available lore.

I. Labels

To make this easy, I'm using the galaxy map from in-game. As you can see, I've marked the planets that are there in-game, the two factions fleets, Csilla, and Kwenn. I tried to get the locations of the planets right, but I'm sure they're a little off. I've already been informed that Csilla is not far enough west, please don't shoot me my Chiss friends. The important thing is that it's on the same side of the galaxy as the Empire and away from Republic influence. Also, apologizing now, I do not have Rise of the Hutt Cartel, so information concerning Makeb may be incorrect.

A note on color: Blue is Republic, Red is Empire, Yellow is Hutt, Green is Independant.

II. Before 30 BTC

This map is before the Great Galactic War. The Empire is expanding west from Dromund Kaas, at some time encountering the Chiss Acendancy. Voss is undiscovered. The Republic is in a period of growth and expansion, and it's influence is felt even in the Outer Rim. Belsavis is made into a prison shortly before Great Galactic War begins, with it's own dedicated garrison.

III. Great Galactic War

The Great Galactic War open as the Empire advances down the Tengel Arm, shown by the small arrow in the Seat of the Empire. As the Republic scrambles to reposition it's military, the Senate falls into chaos as worlds are prioritized. Many systems leave. This is shown by the Blue arrows to the Core Worlds from the west.

While the Republic is off-balance, the Empire advances through the Outer Rim, almost unchecked. The Republic manages to cripple their fleet at the Battle of Hoth, but the Empire has already established bases on several Rim worlds. Note that The Empire does not yet know the location of Belsavis.

The primary Imperial assault comes through the corridor near Hutt Space, before stalling at the sieges of Bothawui and Balmorra. After the failure of the Mandolorian Blockade, the Empire goes on the offensive again, hitting, but unable to hold the Core Worlds including Alderaan. The final, and most well known move of the War is the Sacking of Coruscant.

Also of note: At some point during the war, Manaan is bombed by the Sith and the Selkath abandon the surface and galactic politics/trade. As such, Manaan is no longer exporting kolto.

IV. Treaty of Coruscant

Based on how the Treaty is described, I'm using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tordesillas as model.
Planets visited in-game during this period: Tython, Ord Mantell, Korriban, Hutta, Dromund Kaas, Coruscant, pub!Taris, imp!Balmorra, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan.

By the terms of the Treaty of Coruscant, all space south of the white line is Republic space, all space north of the line is Imperial Space. Note that Alderaan is independant, but in Republic space since they seceded after the Treaty was signed. The Hutt Cartel managed to either ignore the Treaty or be written out of it, allowing movement of either faction through their space. Diplomatic vessels are allowed to cross the Treaty Line, but they are watched closely. Smugglers and other fringers travel through uninhabited systems and Hutt Space to move between the factions.

The Republic during this period focuses on regaining the support of the mid rim systems that became disillusioned during the war. Alderaan secedes just after the Treaty is signed.

Note that though The Treaty divides Imperial and Republic Space, The respective factions do not actually control the entirety of their regions. This is further complicated by the Imperial Outer Rim bases that the Republic does not have knowledge of or the resources to root out. Imperial operations in the Outer Rim are technically in violation of the Treaty Of Coruscant, but the Republic does not have a firm enough grasp of the territory to stop said operations. That said, should the Republic fight against the Imperial operations there, they would not be in violation of the Treaty.

Belsavis is an exception. It is unclear just how strong the garrison is, but it is strong enough to prevent smugglers from landing (source: One of the Republic quests on Belsavis).

Voss is discovered during this period, and the Empire attempts to invade. Though the Republic offers to assist, almost reigniting the War, the Voss are able to fight off the Empire on their own.

Tython is rediscovered shortly after the Treaty is signed.

V. Open War

Planets visited in-game during this period: Makeb, Ilum, Corellia, Voss, Belsavis.
Guess what? Just to make things more difficult, for some classes Act II is war, for some it is not. THANKS BIOWARE.
Might be during this period, might not be: Hoth, Quesh, imp!Taris, pub!Balmorra

In order to explain the Act II war/peace problem, I am thinking the Empire starts openly ignoring the Treaty. The Republic begins reacting before the Declaration of War clears the Senate.

ANYWAYS. The opening moves of the new war are the Imperial invasion of Taris and the Republic liberation of Balmorra. At the same time the Imperial bases in the Outer Rim are reinforced and begin fighting Republic forces on Hoth and Belsavis.

Both the Republic and the Empire increase the scale of their diplomatic missions to Voss.

The Empire's first major move in the war is the invasion of Corellia, which is countered shortly after by the Republic. The Empire then discovers and attacks Ilum.

Both sides experience tension with the Hutt Cartel on Quesh, and then even more so after the Hutt Cartel begins to expand by attacking Makeb.

Sources: http://www.swtor.com/holonet/galactic-history, http://www.swtor.com/holonet/planets/, Jedi Knight story to 50, Consular story to 50, Imperial Agent story to Act II, Smuggler story to Act II, Wookiepedia.

[ADMIN EDIT: Added spoilers tag to title. You are warned!]
« Last Edit: 07/14/13, 02:25:40 PM by Colton »
Jedi Master Telline - The Master of Shadows
Initiate Karia Zent - The Rising Hero
Aurena Durane - The Rogue Reporter

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
Re: Treaty of Coruscant and Recent Galactic History
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/13, 07:06:08 PM »
I may edit tonight and tomorrow, but most of it is there.

Offline Nascuyan

• Parjai par Aliit Bes'uliik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/13, 07:27:26 PM »
Nice post, I can't spot any flaws.
« Last Edit: 07/07/13, 07:29:53 PM by Nascuyan »

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/13, 07:31:46 PM »
Thank you so much Wymarc! This is a fantastic resource!

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/13, 04:37:49 PM »
Added notes on Tython and Manaan.

Offline NovaZero

• Life is the enemy, Death is our solace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/13, 09:04:49 AM »
Post Chapter 3 (Extended Interlude) Makeb joins the Republic. But mass exodus forces its people off it. It's no longer a Hutt Interest (they give up that claim to the Republic). It's a new theater of war (and a very important one though from a certain side, they don't quite know it yet).
Heads up! Most of my roleplay is done over Discord!

Hit me up there if you're keen!
Check profile for plot.

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/13, 02:16:36 PM »
Since we're slightly into spoilers, you could say the people of Makeb join the Republic. However, the planet itself ends up kinda-sorta in the hands of the Empire, doesn't it?
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline NovaZero

• Life is the enemy, Death is our solace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/11/13, 01:13:30 PM »
It's in an odd position. It's officially republic territory but... just another battlefield. (Where's that spoiler tag?)
Heads up! Most of my roleplay is done over Discord!

Hit me up there if you're keen!
Check profile for plot.

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/14/13, 02:26:13 PM »
(Where's that spoiler tag?)

Added by request.
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/16/13, 01:11:15 PM »
Since we're slightly into spoilers, you could say the people of Makeb join the Republic. However, the planet itself ends up kinda-sorta in the hands of the Empire, doesn't it?

...sorta kinda?

The people of Makeb are with the Republic, certainly. The planet...

Well, the Imperials are mining the core for the unobtanium, but they're trying to do it in secret, while the Republic is basically poking the planet with a stick now and saying "...where's was the kaboom? Where's the Makeb-shattering kaboom?"

Some other notes about the pre-and-post Makeb Galaxy?

1: The Empire is losing the war, and badly. This is the impetus behind the Empire's involvement in Makeb, and is largely because of what you saw on Corellia with the Sith class stories: Powerful Sith are using the war to strike out at rival Sith, sabotaging the Empire's cause in the process.

2: As a result of the Cartel's actions on Makeb, the Hutt's have been sorta-kinda force into an alliance with the Republic (or at least the major Cartel leaders...). The exact scope and impact that the under-duress agreement is... questionable, of course, because the Hutts are not known for their military prowess... but that's still a pretty big neutral party joining the Republic.

3: The Emperor is dead... sorta kinda maybe ugh I hate Sith powers sometimes. This is announced by the Republic and Darth Maar seems to confirm that, although... well, there's a certain about of "Who the hell knows?" abound. Point is, he's dead enough to not be making a direct impact, and the Republic's claim on the kill is well known post-Makeb.

4: The Jedi that killed the Emperor, saved the Republic and the whole galaxy, and returned home a heralded hero... is not on the Jedi Council.

...I guess he needs to kick Yogg Sogoth's ass first...
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Aylaa

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
Re: Treaty of Coruscant and Recent Galactic History [SPOILERS]
« Reply #10 on: 07/18/13, 12:04:35 PM »
Illum seems to be an imperial holding before the fighting breaks out again, btw Ralle. Presumeably at the time of the treaty, they still held it and didn't give it back - which makes sense given how built up the imperial garrison is and the whole.... storyline that happens there with Malgus.

Some time before the Cold War,the Sith Empire attacked the planet with a force of Sith and shock troopers, killing the Jedi present there. Although the Jedi Order was devastated by the loss of Ilum, the Galactic Republic lacked the resources for a counter-attack. Intelligence suggested that the Sith operations on the world could have extended beyond the harvest of lightsaber crystals and, due to the amount of local Sith investments, Republic leaders and members of the Jedi High Council suspected that Ilum may have possessed a far more valuable resource.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ilum#History

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/18/13, 12:43:55 PM »
Noted.

Missed that the first go around because I was trying to avoid wookiepedia, and after checking the citation for that section I'm still uneasy about it. But I didn't like what Ilum was doing to the Treaty line and only had the horrible, terrible, annoying word 'recently' to work off of.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/18/13, 03:15:32 PM »
Missed that the first go around because I was trying to avoid wookiepedia, and after checking the citation for that section I'm still uneasy about it. But I didn't like what Ilum was doing to the Treaty line and only had the horrible, terrible, annoying word 'recently' to work off of.

Mind if I ask why wymarc?

I rely on Wookiepedia pretty extensively for stuff, and I guess I trust the obsessive-compulsive nature of the E.U. fans to nit-pick each detail until it is right (or close enough).

This is mostly due to a back-back burner pet project I have on my mind, and your last post reminded me I should stop trying to brainstorm it solo, and ask for your assistance. Look for a PM soon-ish.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/18/13, 05:31:53 PM »
Wookieepedia is not Wikipedia. Wikipedia itself tends to get a pass in terms of reliability only because it's so big and thus pretty thorough, with a lot of dedicated editors, so you're pretty unlikely to run into nonsense.

Wookieepedia is like any other Wiki. Sometimes it has correct and well-formatted information. Often times it doesn't! It suffers from the same problems that any wiki does; any idiot with a computer can upload vacuous non-information which, because of the format, is then presented as "fact."

I have spent a distressing amount of my time here on Earth up to my eyeballs in Star Wars, and I've noticed quite a few articles of dubious veracity or, worse, "fanon" speculations.

tl,dr; don't believe everything you read. Especially on the Internet.

On the point of Ilum in particular though, the SWTOR website background information thing corroborates the Wookieepedia entry. In fact the Wookieepedia article appears to be very nearly a verbatim copy-paste of the SWTOR website.
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/18/13, 08:01:20 PM »
Recoveringgeek - What Iaera said. I still use it _alot_ as a reference, but if I have time or am trying to make somehing to be a resource, I like to look elsewhere as well. With this I was trying to make something with more accuracy.

As for Ilum:
SWTOR:http:// http://www.swtor.com/holonet/planets/ilum
Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ilum

Why I'm not certain about Ilum is one line that is different between the two:
Recently, however, the peace on Ilum was shattered. Inexplicably, the Sith Empire learned of the planet’s location and attacked...
(SWTOR)
Some time before the Cold War,[10] the Sith Empire attacked the planet...
(Wookieepedia)

As far as I can tell, the time of the attack on Ilum is undocumented. A least not in the sources listed on the page. What I'd love is a clip from the game where someone says "Years ago...", bu I haven't had time to dig.

rgin:0px;">