Shoutbox

Poll

When Would You Like To See GeekOut 2014?

April
2 (9.1%)
May
3 (13.6%)
June
10 (45.5%)
July
5 (22.7%)
August
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Begeren Colony GeekOut 2014  (Read 22543 times)

Ilireth

Begeren Colony GeekOut 2014
« on: 10/31/13, 01:45:48 PM »
In 2012 and 2013, a group of folks from the server have gotten together and made an event of hanging out and putting on hats and playing Pazaak and generally making geeks of ourselves. Each time we've had a lot of fun, and it's become a bit of a Begeren Colony mini-con in its own right for some folks. Those who weren't able to join in personally joined in and celebrated over webcams and interwebz chat and had a merry time.

We're wanting to extend this fun opportunity to everyone once again, and we're starting to make a tradition of things it seems. It's time to start up the planning for the next one and we want a little feedback about the when. In 2012 it was in August, and in 2013 it was in April, and we've had different crowds for either.

So we want to know whenabouts you'd consider joining us for an event of geekery and nerdom.

This is also an invitation for anyone who'd like to be involved or contribute to the planning to voice their interest. Last year it was held in Denver, CO - and is the default location for 2014 assuming no other suggestions take root.

So use the poll, pick a month, post your thoughts. Merry Geekery.

Verdict is in.

California GeekOut plans have taken the crapshot, and so we will be holding Begeren Colony GeekOut 2014 in the same location we did last year. There'll be an official invite thread shortly for folks to confirm and rsvp and whatever else it is folks like doing with that.

To quote my previous notions on the location:

Marriott Denver Tech Center
4900 South Syracuse Street
Denver, Colorado 80237

We will have tables and refreshments, are right around the corner from the hotels in-house restaurant (which I like, personally), and we will have a computer set up with a big screen and a camera so that the GeekOut can be live for the entirety of the time we have the room.

Also, Pazaak. I had Pazaak cards printed up for folks who want to play (or learn how) and for general silly-fun. Last time there was great fun with Cards Against Humanity as well. I expect there will be again.

The Date
We've settled on Saturday, June 14th for the event proper, and we'll likely have the room for the same time we did last year (4pm-10pm).

Also like last year, I'll host a lunch get-together at about Noonish for folks who want to gather early, though the details of that are entirely dependent on how many folks are interested - I encourage using this thread for such discussion.

We also had fun meeting the folks who were flying in Friday at the airport. If you'd like in on that too, just say when you'll get in.

Any questions or comments are more than welcome here.

The Agenda
Things that will be on the Agenda for folks to join live through the AnyMeeting:
4:00pm (Denver) - Nexus War Q&A
4:30pm (Denver) - Live Round Table

6:00pm (Denver) - RolePlay Discussion: On Continuity
6:30pm (Denver) - BC.org Plans and Future

The AnyMeeting Link: https://www.anymeeting.com/163-961-841
« Last Edit: 06/13/14, 10:26:19 PM by The Mechanic »

Offline TheKing1nYellow

• Have you seen the sign?
    • View Profile
Re: Begeren Colony GeekOut 2014
« Reply #1 on: 10/31/13, 03:14:23 PM »
Well Denver is just a half day drive away from me, so yeah I would love to join in! I am assuming this usually takes place on/over a weekend?

Ilireth

« Reply #2 on: 10/31/13, 03:17:22 PM »
Well Denver is just a half day drive away from me, so yeah I would love to join in! I am assuming this usually takes place on/over a weekend?

Usually a Saturday, though last year it ended up being almost a weekend-long event. >.>;

Offline Alumar

• Parts Donor
  • "There is always a choice. Always hope."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/31/13, 11:39:06 PM »
Isn't it time for one of our east-coasters to host it this coming year? Do we still have a lot of east coasters out there?
"Do not be one to let the WAR come to you. There is always choice, for as much as your heart knows, there is always hope."

Offline Yena

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/01/13, 01:50:27 PM »
AW, heck. I'll put my oar in and vote for Toronto in July or August!
I'll even organise it!

(What am I getting myself into?)

Think about it: major NAm city, good beer, plenty of sights, cheap-ish flights into the city by Porter airlines, pretty good public transport system ... And it's on a lake! With boat cruises!
You are who you tell yourself you are.

Sustained, concentrated effort wins out over passion.

Offline Kyuui

• Home of the Asuragi family, for over 5 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/01/13, 02:15:13 PM »
 :umm: For me, I'd have to do a web thing, solely due to the lack of fundage for now, that said, if I can get there, even if by web I'm game.

Lolermelon

« Reply #6 on: 11/01/13, 06:41:23 PM »
if it is in toronto i am like one hundred million percent on board

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/01/13, 06:52:52 PM »
Well, I've always wanted to go to Canada. I'd better get a new passport!
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Ilireth

« Reply #8 on: 11/01/13, 07:00:11 PM »
Don't believe I'll be able to make if it's in Canada. XD

But seriously, as the original post stated, anyone who's wanting to help plan/organize the event should rock a post here and shoot me a PM and stuffs. We're not in gogogo mode for this quite yet, but I want to get a feel for what's goin' where so we can give more notice than we did last year.

Offline Aylaa

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/01/13, 08:40:39 PM »
Don't believe I'll be able to make if it's in Canada. XD
If you started now you could get your passport sorted out *pokepoke*

aw hell. I would need to get a new one too. Mine's up this jan!

(Though if the issue is that it is prohibitively expensive to fly there, that I understand)

Offline Yena

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/01/13, 09:26:18 PM »
https://www.google.ca/flights/gwsredirect?q=flights+denver+to+toronto&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=flun&uitype=2743&flights_from_airport=DEN&flights_to_airport=YTO&flights_from_date=2013-11-18&flights_to_date=2013-11-22&inferred_orig=0&personalized_destinations=0&sa=X&ei=oX50UpbtGa7msASOioL4BA&ved=0CEQQuRU

Sorry, can't do pretty hyperlinks -- Flight by United from Denver to TO is around $550 round trip... XD

Get yer passports!

*chest bump with Tae* Yeah!

I can even host someone at my place if you're tiny and don't mind a small couch, or are regular sized and don't mind inflatable mattresses and cats. :)
« Last Edit: 11/01/13, 09:28:49 PM by Yena »
You are who you tell yourself you are.

Sustained, concentrated effort wins out over passion.

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/02/13, 08:32:50 PM »
(Though if the issue is that it is prohibitively expensive to fly there, that I understand)

There is that, too.
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/02/13, 09:49:07 PM »
 :sigh:
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Seselis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/02/13, 11:40:21 PM »
June!  I'll never get to go in July. 

Niagara Falls is near Toronto. Close enough for me.  OR fly to Buffalo then drive in.  I have a cousin near Toronto where I can sleep, I've been invited a dozen times but never made it up, and I'd love to see the area and make a full on vacation out of it.
« Last Edit: 11/03/13, 01:43:40 AM by Jen rhak »

Offline Alumar

• Parts Donor
  • "There is always a choice. Always hope."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/03/13, 12:07:23 PM »
~500$ per person air, plus hotel and rental car, even shared, is pretty prohibitively expensive for a lot of people.

If people can't swing Toronto, I could host in the sunny, geeky city of Seattle. June is GORGEOUS in the Pac NW, and we have all the toys for networking people in, at my place.
"Do not be one to let the WAR come to you. There is always choice, for as much as your heart knows, there is always hope."

post", 1); // ]]>