Shoutbox

Author Topic: Begeren Colony GeekOut Round 2  (Read 7159 times)

Sciran

Begeren Colony GeekOut Round 2
« on: 08/06/12, 03:36:09 PM »
August 5th, 2012.
A date which shall live in infamy.
... And you can all blame Razzle/Dazzle for it.

First off, I want to thank Disara a hundred and thirty five times for the astounding fun that was the previous GeekOut. Without you, Dis, we would not have had our cake and ate it too. We love you.

But, with the success that was the previous BC.org GeekOut passed, and already many of us excited about the idea of another gathering, I humbly present another such opportunity: BC.org GeekOut Round 2 (Geek Harder) on April 13th, 2013.

The idea currently is to have a smallish venue open to us from about Noon to 10pm, with a portion of that time catered with an open bar. The intent is to also have a similar set up to what we were able to join into on the previous GeekOut over the web - but to have it running throughout the event, so that anyone physically there can join in and chat with those joining via the web at any point and vice versa. The venue currently seats about 25 folks - my intent is to fill every slot.

I'm opening the floor to any and all ideas about how to improve the entertainment and opportunity for our fellow BC'ers. Some ideas have already been thrown around - and I have a few of my own I'll chime in with down the line.

And we'll make it a merry ol' time.

Offline Disara

• Web designer by day and comic book artist by night
    • View Profile
Re: Begeren Colony GeekOut Round 2
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/12, 09:49:47 PM »
Even if I can't make it, I'll be sure to help out somehow and hope that I don't have a comic convention to attend. If anything, I'll be able to help out with the virtual hangout again by being the moderator or something.

Sciran

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/12, 09:57:03 PM »
Even if I can't make it, I'll be sure to help out somehow and hope that I don't have a comic convention to attend. If anything, I'll be able to help out with the virtual hangout again by being the moderator or something.

The date was picked in the attempt to be distant enough from other cons to make it easy to attend - though it might be shifted a little later due to PAX in March. That's part of the reason for starting this up so early - figure we have about 2 months or so to figure those sorts of details before we want to start hammering a nail in.

Offline Ghazan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/08/12, 02:08:20 PM »
Sorry I missed it, funds and time was really off, but I hope to visit this time. Honestly you missed out on my voice with some drunken rockband. Why cant it be more in fall, winter?

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/08/12, 03:27:14 PM »
If I'm around at that point, I should be able to attend. I'm just not sure where I'll be by then. I'll have a better idea in a few more months.
The Communist Domino >.>

Sciran

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/13, 04:49:29 PM »
The previous official invite didn't go out until two months before the last GeekOut, and interest really didn't start exploding until 2 weeks after that, so I'm a bit premature here... Just pokin' at this little Necro and sayin' the date's up on our calendar - start thinkin' about Denver 'round Spring Time, eh? :)

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/13, 05:04:49 PM »
I'M IN.

Just need to get airfare and a room, which will happen after my finances recover from the holidays. :)
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Offline Ghazan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/13, 05:07:15 PM »
Another Cali Meet up! >.<

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/03/13, 05:34:52 PM »
Another Cali Meet up! >.<

I'm always up for informal gatherings here in SoCal. But if we're going to make an event out of getting everyone together, we should do it right!

Sciran

« Reply #9 on: 01/31/13, 05:34:04 PM »
Thought I'd update folks on this little lovely project here.

Over the next weekend I will be touring the spots for our lovely GeekOut, so I suspect we'll have an official invite up here shortly thereafter. Nailing things down, as they say.

At present, the plan is to have the location open to us from 10am April 13th until whenever they'll kick us out the morning of the 14th. Dinner the night of the 13th will be catered(ish), and while I can't promise a stocked bar - there'll be _something_ for those who're of the persuasion. That will be better defined over the coming week.

Many folks liked the Google Hangout or whatever other electronic thing we did to have folks join us electronically - and that will be available again at this GeekOut, with a minor twist: We will have a computer and large screen monitor set up at the GeekOut room itself so that people can join us whenever they would like throughout the day, and anyone at the event itself can chatter back.

I also had a table set of Pazaak cards made for the Geekout so that we can indulge our inner Star Wars nerd and play Pazaak. Might even run a low-bracket tourney if there's enough interest. But yes, real Pazaak. It's a thing.

... I think that's all I have at the moment for what's going on with this... Will keep y'all up to date with what comes on through.

If you have any questions or suggestions PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE! We want to make this gathering an awesome thing, so pile it on.

Offline Disara

• Web designer by day and comic book artist by night
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/26/13, 09:52:59 AM »
I used anymeeting for the last GeekOut's virtual chat: http://anymeeting.com

It looks like I won't be able to make it, but hope to still attend virtually. Unless something comes up (Like another convention or something) I can be in charge of the virtual chat and make it so that you just have to connect to the chat client on your end.

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/13, 03:40:35 PM »
Geek Out 2: Geek Harder is next month! Which means I'm making plans now for my trip out there!

I was originally planning on booking a flight out and back, but it occurs to me that there are several L.A./SoCal BCers who might want to travel out there, but can't afford to fly. However, they might find the idea of a road trip appealing! Nothing but the open road, good tunes, and lots of super-geeky talk from your fellow RPers to pass the time.

I'm going to put the feelers out for the next couple weeks to see if there's any interest in this. If not, don't worry, I have ways of getting to Colorado. This is more to give others the opportunity to get to the Geek Out if they might not be able to otherwise.

Drop a line here and let me know, sooner rather than later!

Offline Alumar

• Parts Donor
  • "There is always a choice. Always hope."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/13, 07:16:53 PM »
I would like more specifics on location and stuff for to start also planning a voyage and seeing if the finances will allow.

Sciran! Details! Locations and nearby hotels etc.
"Do not be one to let the WAR come to you. There is always choice, for as much as your heart knows, there is always hope."

Offline Aylaa

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/02/13, 10:15:36 PM »
ditto! I have free flights (i think) but I need to know the other details like do I need to rent a car and hotel infos and such :)

Offline Dyven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/02/13, 11:54:36 PM »
Alright, once again I am planning on attending and can swing around to grab up people if there is a wish.  Once we have exact location I can give a suggested route and anyone on the way I would be happy to come for ya if you need a ride.

class="copyright"> SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
TinyPortal 1.6.4 © 2005-2019
  • XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2