Shoutbox

Author Topic: The Hunt for Captain Dumas  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
The Hunt for Captain Dumas
« on: 11/03/12, 01:58:10 AM »
"Dear Knight Shaantil,

I'm sorry, but the records you've requested seem to have degraded. The Imperial attack some years ago did a lot of damage to our storage, and I'm afraid that I can't locate any existing backups. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist in your investigation."

----

"Knight Shaantil,

Sorry for the delay in responding. No luck on finding anything in the archives relating to Simon Dumas. A few reports here and there involving Jedi Master Soldin from that time frame, attached to this message, but mainly routine record keeping. Wish I could have helped more."

----

"Heya,

I gave the DB another sweep. Looks like there was something there related to C21135-984, but its not there anymore.

Of course, our system's security is top-notch, so the deletion could only have been an officially sanctioned one, because no DB jockey here would ever take a bribe to kill some data.

No, really. They pay us way too well for that kinda shit.

Anywho, I'll need a court order to attempt to recover the data. Sorry, but you know how legal shit can be."

----

"Attention Knight Shaantil,

This is the department manager for listening post 1138. While I understand the good intentions behind your offer, I cannot allow an outside droid access to our secure systems, for any reason. System security must remain a top priority here, and the specifics of our internal systems must remain a secret.

Please refrain from making this request again without a court order."

----

Shaantil lowered her datapad with a sigh. Nothing. No recordings, no video, no reports, and only a single transcript of an interview and a long list of criminal offenses.

Moving down the stairs to the engine compartment, her mind flew over the next steps. Hutt space? He would have spent much time there, and irregular record keeping might make hiding tracks less likely-

They do not respect the authority of the Jedi. Any access would have to be either trading of favors or illegitimate. Which is worse?

"Jedi = okay?" T7 asked, giving her a light poke with its access prong.

Shaantil nodded, dimly aware that her feet had taken her into the engine room, without any input from her. "Yes, T7. I need you to contact Republic-friendly ports on Outer Rim systems. Find wh-"

"T7 = find out about Simon Dumas // Jedi = relax"

Shaantil sighed, but a smile broke through her face. "Thank you, T7. Your assistance, as always, is invaluable."

"T7 = knows // Jedi = lost without T7!"

"I would not go that far."

"Jedi = fly ship into star!"

She only briefly managed to fight the smirk. "Oh, very well, I will admit that I do need your help."

"Jedi = smart // T7 = deserve raise" T7 beeped, plugging into the ship's computers.

Shaantil hesitated. Either T7 truly wishes financial compensation, or it has learned how to joke with a lie. "...we will see, T7. In the meantime-"

"Jedi = go meditate // T7 = have results soon // Jedi = want T7 ask OR slice?"

She turned to leave, but hesitated at the droid's question. "...only slice if you believe they are willfully concealing the information."

"T7 = understand..."

Shaantil sighed and left the engine room. There had to be something out there, somewhere...
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunt for Captain Dumas
« Reply #1 on: 12/28/12, 11:21:20 AM »
T7 slowly approached Shaantil's quarters. Simon News = good or bad? // Jedi = like knowing about Simon // Jedi = might be angry T7 = not find sooner? // Jedi = wants to know // T7 = want Jedi = happy // Jedi = may be angry AND happy? // Jedi = -"

Shaantil looked up at T7, rising from her meditation. "Yes, T7?"

T7 backed up a tiny amount, somehow not realizing he was already inside her room. "Ship = 1 hour out from destination // Jedi = want notice of arrival?"

"Yes, T7, thank you. I will be meditating until then. Is there anything else?"

T7 hesitated, drawing a frown from Shaantil. "What is it?"

"T7 = found memory of Simon Dumas // T7 = sorry // Memory audio = degraded // T7 = sorry // Jedi = want to see logs? // T7 = so-"

Shaantil held up a hand. "...you had an encounter with Simon?"

T7 nodded his pseudo-head. "T7 = bought by Simon for Soldin // T7 = has lots of degraded memory from then // reason = unknown // T7 = sorry"

"It is alright, T7, thank you. Please, give me whatever you have discovered."

"T7 = transmitting to datapad // T7 = sorry // T7 = going..."

Shaantil called her datapad to her hand as T7 fled, her mind racing behind her passive face, wondering what the info would be, and froze as she checked the timestamp.

It was from a month before his death.

----

"-ot of corrosion here, lil' guy. Has Soldin been takin' good care of you?"

T7 turned his head to look at Simon. "Jedi = nice to T7! // Jedi + T7 = been to hazardous planet // T7 = fell into acid water"

Simon grabbed T7's head, turning the giant eye toward him. "...say that again? What has Soldin been up to?"

T7 backed up slightly as Simon let go. "Jedi + T7 = chase criminal to hiding place // Jedi = find + arrest criminal // T7 = just clumsy." Technically a lie, T7 considered, but Soldin had explicitly told him not to tell Simon about the array of bombs. Orders > honesty...

Simon sighed, shaking his head. "...woman's half crazy, I swear. She's in no condition for risking her life."

T7 considered Soldin's health for a moment. "T7 = not understand // Jedi = in good shape - minor nausea // best diagnosis = intestinal parasite?"

Oddly, Simon didn't look worried, like T7 expected. Instead, he seemed to not react at all to the news. "...sure, let's go with that. When'd you become a doctor?"

"T7 = downloaded diagnostic suite from holonet! // T7 = master diagnoser now!"

Simon gave T7 an odd look, but nodded. "Right you are."

Simon went back to his work, soldering in a few new wires, replacing a few fluids and doing general maintenance. T7 watched him carefully, but only because T7 was generally paranoid about his body. T7 liked Simon, especially since he rescued T7 from Shirlka Droidworks, and gave him a new ship to work on!

"Hey, T7, still paying attention?" Simon asked.

"T7 = always paying attention! // T7 = pay special attention to Simon when Simon hands = in T7!"

Simon chuckled. "Right. You're a good... droid. You like Soldin, right? Want to keep her safe?"

"T7 = like Jedi! // T7 = already keep Jedi safe!"

"...good. Just want you to keep a special eye out for her. In case... well, just in case. I got your word on that?"

T7 nodded quickly. "T7 = always protect Jedi! // T7 = give Simon word!"

Simon closed T7's chassis, his face still solid. "...good. Thanks, little guy."

----

Shaantil rushed into the engine room, looking down at the sulking T7. "T7, are there any more memories like this?!"

"T7 = sorry // T7 = not find any // T7 = sorry // T7 = keep looking? // T7 = so-"

"Stop apologizing!" she shouted.

T7 looked away, somehow finding a way to look even more sullen.

Shaantil took a deep breath, and knelt down in front of T7, placing her hand on T7's head. "...I... I am sorry, T7. This is phenomenal news. You... you knew Simon, but did not recall that until now, is that correct?"

"Degraded memories = say T7 = knew Simon // Jedi = angry with T7?"

She smiled at the little droid. "Of course not, T7. I am quite happy with your success. Please, continue looking for such memories. Perhaps you could recover more."

"T7 = will try!"

"And... intestinal parasite?"

T7 chirped happily. "T7 = not have diagnostic suite now // T7 = may have misused it then // Shaantil = best intestinal parasite ever!"

Shaantil stood, smiling slightly. "I will remember you said that, T7. Especially the next time I see a very, very large magnet."

"Jedi = mean!" T7 said as Shaantil exited the engine room, letting out a soft laugh.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/13, 12:47:58 AM »
Shaantil appeared before the holo recorder, a few datapads on the table before her. She speaks formally, simply, calmly.

"Knight Shaantil, investigation report into case hereby titled 'Pocket Warship'. Evidence in this case seems sufficient for such reports, as a result of," she hesitates momentarily, "...recent events."

"A Sith Lord named Zedney is currently seeking out a cache of starship equipment, developed by an engineer, Doctor Mein Sund. Sund was arrested... approximately twenty-six years ago, by then-Knight Soldin, and convicted of aiding and abetting piracy with his equipment designs, and was killed during the sacking."

She picks up a datapad, tapping it lightly. "Intelligence obtained by SIS pointed to a prisoner held in Kaas City as being Zedney's source for this intelligence. Thanks to the..." she hesitates again, and her next words ring hollow, "...the fortuitous and heroic actions of a... defecting Imperial Citizen, Captain 'Lazy-Eye' Shaffer, the prisoner was extracted from Kaas City and... coincidentally turned over to my custody."

Shaantil taps some more on the datapad. "...the prisoner in question is Virad Fortune. Numerous warrants were out for her arrest on various worlds in Republic space, largely trivial matters whose statue of limitations have long since expired. Known aliases are V, Dara, Sunny D, Red Eye, Glassy Grin, Ball Bearing Betty-" she stops, frowning and scrolling down on her datapad. "...suffice to say, the list is extensive, her dossier will be attached to this report, but notable are her former associates, known primarily as Sammy Smiles and... Simon Dumas."

"...thanks to the efforts of Captain Jace Colton, it appears that the cache is located at a point that can only be found by combining two or three partial star-charts, that were divided between herself, Mister Smiles and Captain Dumas, however Lord Zedney appears to have Miss Fortune's chart. She also believes that... Captain Dumas did not die nearly twenty-six years ago, but faked his own death, and now may be searching for the cache himself, and thus the second star chart."

Shaantil hesitates. "...assuming what Miss Fortune says is correct, that would mean that only Mister Smiles' Star Chart is the only one unaccounted for. Captain Colton appears to have the trust of Miss Fortune, and will assist him in finding Mister Smiles, but... I do not know if I can trust her. She certainly does not trust me, after the... violence during her transfer, and is unwilling to speak to me, but this may be the only way to move forward."

((Rick Moranis: "Everybody got all that? Good!"))

Shaantil appears to look down at her own hands. "...end report." After the soft acknowledgement from her computer, she spoke again. "New log, personal use only."

"I should not be doing this. If the Jedi Order knew all the details surrounding this, that Simon Dumas and Soldin are my parents, then... first, they would expel Master Soldin from the order, and possibly myself as well, but at the very least would assign someone else to this. But who else can I trust to handle this?"

"Soldin is certain that... my father died then. Virad is certain that he did not. Perhaps a manipulation by Lord Zedney, but... so many other seem to think it is the case. That a smuggler who 'knocked up'," she says, saying the words in as uncomfortable a manner as exists, " a Jedi would fake his death to escape his responsibilities... I cannot deny that it is not impossible..."

She sighs. "...but I am still too close to this. After Virad attempted to extort credits from me in exchange for information on my father, I... I did grow angry. More than I have felt in some time. I threatened to return her to her imprisonment, where they were torturing her. When she ran, I lashed out, far harder than I wanted, and could have seriously injured her."

"...but Zedney must be stopped. The potential for these weapons is not insignificant. And who else can do this? Master Soldin would be even closer than I to this, Master Farworlder would overreact to the background, Olle, Sestra and Sasmi, while they know the background and can use the Force, cannot rely upon the resources of the Republic... and the same goes for Jace, Seiyd and Jaade. And Cordae... he would, if I asked him, I know. But his planet's neutrality must be kept paramount, and he is far too public a figure to act openly here."

She sighs. "...no, I must take this mission for myself. I only wish I knew what I was hoping for; my father alive, or my father to be the good, honorable man that my mother believes him to be."

Without another word, she ends the log, and walks away.
Character List:

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/17/13, 09:04:56 PM »
Lord Zedney frowned at the knock on his door. Ten minutes late, I don't know why I tolerate this idiot... "Come in," he said aloud, deactivating his terminal as the door opened.

A young Ratataki man entered, eyes shifting around, glancing to the corners and the shadows. "Do not worry," Zedney said, no humor in his tone. "I no longer have Quarasha to execute failures for me. Her promotion has forced me to perform that role once again."

The Rattataki winced, but bowed extravagently. "...what do I owe this honor, Lord Zedney?"

Zedney frowned and tapped his holoterminal, bringing up the image of an Imperial prison. "Effret, are you aware of this facility?"

Effret looked up enough to see the image, his expression a practiced look of helpful ignorance. "One of the prisons in Kaas City, I believe."

"Indeed it is. In fact, it is one that I visited some time ago, in case you recall the reports I instructed you to read."

There was no question in the tone, but Effret still felt compelled to respond. "...yes, my lord, but that was handled by... my predecessor."

Zedney's smile was cold and far, far too brief. "Ah, I see your memory is recovering. Would you like to know what else makes this facility special?"

If Effret could have bowed further, he likely would have tried, instead settling for a pitiful tone. "I would be hono-", his words ending in choked sputtering, his hands clutching at the intangible grip now on his throat.

"It is where a very, very special prisoner was located, a Virad Fortune, where much of my information on the Pocket Warship project has come from," Zedney said, standing from his chair and coming around the table, his focus firmly on squeezing the miserable spy's throat. "At least until the prison was attacked by a traitorous mercenary thug some time ago, releasing many of the prisoners inside. Why was this not brought to my attention, Effret?"

"T-too many g-got free! S-seemed... unrelated!"

Zedney snarled, cutting off Effret's air. "Nothing is unrelated! Everything, even the smallest of details, is important! One of my other agents has informed me that a Jedi is searching for the cache now, and the person who knows the most about it has slipped our grasp! I will not be denied its bounty because of your incompetance! Am I clear?!" He relaxed the grip, just enough for Effret to suck in a few desperate gasps of breath.

"Y-yes Lord!"

"What is clear?" Zedney asked, looking the Rattataki square in the eye.

"...b-bring everything related to you!"

Zedney nodded sharply and dropped the spy, returning to his seat. "Good. And inform Captain Rodgers that Miss Swals will be joining him on his searches."

Effret's jaw dropped. "...Lord, if you recall my earlier reports, Captain Rodgers said he would rather see a mutiny aboard his ship than her step aboard again."

Zedney gave Effret a short glare before returning to his holoterminal. "I am aware. Tell him that if that is the case, I can arrange for the mutiny, but I sense he will need her immense power soon. Would you like to question any more of my orders?"

"No, Lord! I will do as you say!" Effret practically raced towards the door, freezing as Zedney spoke again.

"Mistakes can happen to us all," Zedney said, a more pleasant, casual tone in his voice now. "They are inevitable. But we learn from our mistakes, or we die. Are we clear?"

Effret winced and nodded. "Yes, Lord!"

Zedney smirked as Effret nearly ran out the door. This one's a surprisingly good actor. I wonder if the Keeper has discovered my new spy yet...
Character List:

od;sa=credits" title="Credits">2005-2019
  • XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2