Shoutbox

Author Topic: Themaya - The Approach - Class Mission  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Themaya - The Approach - Class Mission
« on: 04/02/18, 06:56:28 PM »
<< Return to Main Mission Hub

The Approach

The freighter exited Hyperspace returning the mesmerizing streaks of stars and light particles to the stationary twinkle of normal space. Risha maneuvered the ship near the planet. The freighter sat just outside of Themaya's sovereign space. In the distance, the shaded, rocky world could be seen through the ship's viewport. Wispy clouds wound around the planet like ancient cobwebs as it's backlit moons circled on their nightly orbits.

Risha looked out over the night shaded world with barely tempered eagerness.

Risha: There it is, Themaya. There's a lot going on down there. We'll have to be careful.The government here calls itself the Upper Echelon. I've arranged a meeting with the leader who calls himself The Empowered One. Ancient titles aside, that's not where the real power is.

Dialog Options

Then why are we talking to him?
Spoiler: show
The Captain leaned against the wall and folded their arms. There was skepticism in their voice.

Smuggler: No offense Risha, but why exactly are we talking to The Empowered One if he has no power?

Risha: Because like most "important" people, the Economic Committee uses their underlings to deal with the rabble. It's just bureaucracy. You don't have to like it. You just have to go through it.

Risha gave the Smuggler an apologetic shrug.

Continue the story -->

So how do we get to the ones in power?
Smuggler: Ok, so how do we get around this guy and talk to whoever's in charge?

Risha shook her head.

Risha: We don't. I'm afraid there are no backdoors, and all of the open areas good for landing appear to be heavily guarded. We can't exactly sneak in either.

Smuggler: So we have to speak to the No Powered One to...

The Captain's question trailed off waiting for Risha to fill the missing blank.

Risha: To get approval to land and operate on the planet through accepted channels. Not to mention getting access to the Economic Committee.

The Smuggler rested their head in their hand.

Smuggler: Since when did we operate through proper channels? This is going to be worse than Coruscant.

Risha's answer came swiftly on the heels of the question.

Risha: Since we ran out of alternatives, that's when. Nar Shaddaa might be a better analogy, though. Hopefully there will be less double crossing.

Continue the story -->

You are wasting my time, Risha.
Smuggler: I don't have time to speak to powerless nobodies, Risha.

The Captain was aggravated to the point of raising their voice.

Risha: I know, but this is the only way. Like most "important" people, the Economic Committee leaves their underlings to deal with the people they don't want to talk with. And yes, I took the liberty of checking for ways to get around them all, but there are no backdoors. Not to mention all of the good landing areas are heavily guarded. We can't exactly sneak in.

Continue the story -->

Can't we just clean up the mess and then talk to them later?
Smuggler: Couldn't we just land anyway, clean up the imperials, and demand they pay us?

Risha did not look impressed with that idea.

Risha: No, and there's no guarantee that they would pay us even if we did. I checked for ways to get around all of, but there are no backdoors. Even Worse, all of the good landing areas are heavily guarded. We can't sneak in either. If you want to get paid twice or three times, we'll have to play it their way.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/10/18, 07:55:22 PM by Imazi »
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: Themaya - The Approach - Class Mission
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/18, 07:02:46 PM »
Dialog Options

Ok let's talk to the Empowered One.
The Smuggler relented but reluctantly.

Smuggler: Fine, fine... Let's talk to the Empowered One and get on with it.

Risha: Sure, but it's not time yet. While we wait, there's some more things you should know. I've been told that there is a power struggle brewing.

There was a certain concern in Risha's tone.

Continue the story -->

Is there anything else I should know?
The Smuggler relented with a roll of their eyes but did so reluctantly. 

Smuggler: Anything else I should know before we fly into the middle of this mess?

Risha: Yes.

Risha's tone shifted. She sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:22:56 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/02/18, 07:29:50 PM »
Dialog Options

What are our chances of actually getting paid?
Risha: If we take care of any Imperials we come across then we can get the Republic to pay us. If we play the games of whoever's in charge down there we can get this world to pay us. If we lift some of that HyperMatter fuel we can get some Kingpin to pay us. The question is not how like are we to get paid but how many times do we get paid. The answer depends on how we play our hand.

The Smuggler nodded slowly but thought quickly.

Smuggler: Three payoffs or less... Fine. Here's to pulling 20s. We'll play their game. Anything else I should know before we fly into the middle of this mess?

Continue the story -->

This is going to be a waste of time.
Smuggler: Come on Risha, there has got to be a better way to spend our time than jumping through bureaucratic hoops. That's the whole reason we're privateers, so that we can skip the line and get things done.

The Captain groused. This was not what they had traveled across the galaxy for.

Risha: I know. But think of it this way, if we take care of any Imperials we come across then we can get the Republic to pay us. If we play the games of whoever's in charge down there, we can get this world to pay us. If we can lift some of that HyperMatter fuel, we can get some rich idiot to pay us. The question is not how likely are we to get paid, but how many times are we going to get paid. That depends on how we play our hand.

Smuggler: So I can take the quick payoff and get paid once or twice, or I charm my way into getting paid three times?

Risha: Sharp as always.

The Smuggler relented begrudgingly.

Continue the story -->

Smuggler: Fine, fine. Let's talk to the Empowered one and get on with it.

Risha: Sure, but it's not time yet. While we wait there's some more things you should know. I've been told that there is a power struggle brewing.

Risha's tone grew concerned.

Continue the story -->

Nar Shaddaa is not a comforting analogy.
Mention of Nar Shaddaa rubbed the captain wrong, and there was a little irritation in their voice.

Smuggler: Risha, the last time I was Nar Shaddaa for anything major, I was hunted by bounty hunters, dodging organ snatchers, and playing fetch for a lovesick Hutt. Please tell me that is not the part of Nar Shaddaa we are going to be repeating.

Risha gave the Captain an unimpressed look look at the mention of Drooga and deadpanned the first part of her response.

Risha: That is not the part of Nar Shaddaa we are going to be repeating...

She paused as she considered how to phrase her disclaimer.

Risha: At least it probably won't be. What this place has in common with Nar Shaaddaa is that business runs the show, but things are never quite simple. There's a power struggle brewing.

Risha's tone turned to concern.

Continue the story -->

Risha had the Captain's full attention.

Smuggler: Anything else I should know before we fly into the middle of this mess?

Continue the story -->

What is the Economic Committee?
The Captain returned to their customary nonchalance.

Smuggler: Alright, I'll bite. What's the Economic Committee and why do we need them?

Risha: They're the moneybag. If we want to get paid, they're the ones that have it to pay out.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:25:25 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/02/18, 07:42:58 PM »
Dialog Options

This is the last thing I want.
The Captain was irate.

Smuggler: I didn't come all they way here to speak to their lackeys. I have one of the most powerful criminal organizations in the galaxy. People come when I call. Not the other way around.

Risha: I get that, but these people are used to dealing with people of your stature, and they treat everyone that way. Money has that kind of affect on people. For now, let's just play it their way.

Continue the story -->

Find a way, Risha!
The Captain was losing patience quickly.

Smuggler: I don't care what it takes Risha. Get me to someone who matters!

Risha: I'm glad you don't care what it takes, because this is it. There's no other way. If you want to get to someone important. You'll have to go through the Empowered One. However, there's some more things you should know. I've been told that there is a power struggle brewing.

Risha now sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->

Fine! get it over with already.

Risha: Sure, but it's not time yet. While we wait there's some more things you should know. I've been told that there is a power struggle brewing.

Risha sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->

« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:26:03 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/02/18, 07:52:56 PM »
Dialog Options

The captain conceded.

Risha's tone shifted. Now she sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->

The Captain gave up on trying to find a way around the problem.

Risha sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:28:10 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/18, 07:58:28 PM »
Dialog Options

The captain conceded.

Risha's tone shifted. Now she sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->

Fine! get it over with already.
The Captain gave up on trying to find a way around the problem.

Risha sounded concerned.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:26:57 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/02/18, 08:13:16 PM »
Dialog Options

Fine. Let's go waste some time.
Smuggler: If I didn't like the sound of three payoffs the answer would be no, Risha.

Risha gave the Captain a knowing smirk.

Risha: But you do like the sound of it, so listen up. There's some more you should know before we meet with The Empowered One.

Continue the story -->

I still don't want to do this.
Smuggler: As much as I want to get paid. I still don't want to do this meeting.

Risha: Then do it for your crew. A good Captain makes the hard choices including the boring ones that lead to three payouts. But there's still more you need to know before we meet with the Empowered One.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/02/18, 08:27:40 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/02/18, 08:21:16 PM »
Risha: Right now the Economic Committee holds all of the power. Next on the rung is the Upper Echelon. At the very bottom are the workers.

Risha paused for a moment as she ran over something in her mind.

Risha: Our presence on the planet is likely to draw some attention of people who want tip the scales in their favor. It could be dangerous to wade into the middle of a conflict like that.

Dialog Options

I'll stay out of it.
Smuggler: That's easy to deal with. I'll just stay out of it. Not my problem.

The Captain shrugged offhandedly.

Continue the story -->

I'll support the people.
Smuggler: If I can, I'm going to help the people. Sounds like their getting the short end of this HyperMatter Stick.

There was an air of noble intent about the Captain. Risha smiled.

Risha: You always did like helping the little guy. Just keep in mind that the fact that they are the little guy mean that their are big guys that might take offense at you meddling.

Continue the story -->

I'll support whoever supports me
Smuggler: Whoever scratches my back, I'll scratch theirs. We'll see how it goes when we get down there.

The Captain's usual self-confidence projected an aura that everything would work out in the end. Risha was less convinced.

Risha: Fair enough, but be careful. If everyone tries to scratch your back you may wind up in a bigger mess than you've started with.

Continue the story -->

I'll support whoever has the money.
Smuggler: Simple, I'll support the highest bidder. I'm not running a charity here.

Risha laughed.

Risha: That would be the corporations, but I don't doubt for one minute that you'd support them against the government and their own people, then steal their hypermatter, and sell it to the highest bidder.

The Captain grinned and gave her a "what can you do?" shrug.

Smuggler: What can I say? I'm an enterprising individual.

Continue the story -->

I'll support the government.
Smuggler: Alright. I'll support the government then.

Risha gave the Smuggler a deeply concerned look as if they had grown another head which had offered to sing Kayfoundo Naweea.

Risha: Are you feeling ok? You want to support the government?

Her tone was uncertain even as she asked the question. The Captain was unphased, ever plotting to turn any situation into an advantage.

Smuggler: Yes. You never know, it might not hurt to win some favors and get a new privateering contract. If this fuel is as expensive as you say it is. Someone will be back for it even if we clean up the Imperials now.

Risha was impressed. She hadn't considered how to make it a regular payout... yet.

Risha: Interesting idea. It's worth a shot at least.

Continue the story -->

[Flirt] Danger is specialty.
The Smuggler turned on the charm.

Smuggler: Good thing I specialize in dealing with dangerous situations. It gives me a rugged charm.

The Captain smirked at Risha waiting for her to reaction. She was tempted to smile, but she had an image to maintain. Instead, she hid the fact that she was falling for the Captain's flirt behind feigned irritation.

Risha: It might get you dead if you don't take this seriously.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:25:52 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/18, 04:40:21 PM »
If you have completed Risha's companion missions
Risha: Wise choice. If Dubrillion has taught me anything, local politics will kill you.

Continue the story -->

If you have not completed Risha's companion missions
Risha: Wise choice. Although I don't know how easy that will be.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:16:09 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/03/18, 05:04:18 PM »
Dialog Options

I'll just charm my way out.
Smuggler: Come on Risha, I haven't met a situation that my dazzling good looks, and charm haven't been able to get us out of yet.

The Captain was confident. Risha grinned and mulled whether or not to poke a hole in their ego before she spoke.

Continue the story -->

I might take offense if they cross me.
The Captain was unconcerned.

Smuggler: Let them take offense. By then, I can get my people here, and we'll see who's more powerful than who. Being the big guys don't mean they're the biggest.

Risha was concerned even if the Captain was not.

Risha: True, although I hope it doesn't come down to us raiding the planet. I doubt we'd get our payment from the Republic if we cost some Senator access to fancy fuel for their Yacht. Remember, one run three payouts.

Continue the story -->

Won't matter if I outmaneuver them.
Smuggler: Let them get offended. I'll still be 12 steps ahead of them. I'm not a hero for no reason, Risha.

The Captain leaned against the wall their bravado taking up all the room in the cockpit. Risha resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

Risha: Fine, but don't let it go to your head. A lot can go wrong down there.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:17:56 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04/03/18, 05:43:16 PM »
If you have not Romanced Risha
Risha: I take it we're ignoring all of the times that your blaster had to do the negotiating then?

Smuggler: Sometimes people need a little more convincing than gorgeous smile.

Risha: And sometimes things definitely didn't go according to plan. Be careful down there.

Risha's sounded concerned, more than she had intended to show.

Continue the story -->

If you Romanced Risha but not married her
Risha: I guess I can't poke too much fun at that. You have your moments.

Sensing the challenge the Captain turned on the charm.

Smuggler: Only moments?

The Captain all but waggled his eyebrows. Risha couldn't help but grin, so she looked off to try to keep from falling for the Captain's flirt.

Risha: Yes, moments, but now's not the time. We need to focus on the job.

Continue the story -->

If you romanced Riaha and married her
Risha: I guess I can't poke too much fun at that. I fell for it.

The Captain saw through her facade.

Smuggler: You don't fool me Risha. You love it.

Risha tried to hide a growing smile but only managed to limit it to a subtle grin. Sharing emotions was still awkward for her.

Smuggler: The charm, maybe... the ego could use a little work though.

Risha's jab was light-hearted. She couldn't let the moment pass without taking a shot, but it was little more than a shot across the bow.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:19:04 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/03/18, 06:14:38 PM »
Risha: One last thing, you may want to tread lightly should you run into any crazies or fanatics down there. They have their own beliefs about the Force and you may run into problems if you step on their feelings too much.

Dialog Options

I don't care but I'll deal with it.
The Captain didn't seem bothered by the idea.

Smuggler: I don't care if it's Sith down there. We're getting this payoff, Risha.

Risha: I know, I'm just saying be careful. I don't know if it's Force users or silly superstitions. Just try not to anger them too much or get cornered.

A beeping sound announced an incoming call from the planet. Risha looked as though she was no more eager to make the call than the Captain, but she readied herself.

Risha: Looks like time's up. That's the Empowered One. Let's get this over with.

Continue the story -->

Ok, I'll be careful.
Smuggler: Don't worry Risha. This isn't my first job. Didn't I pull off Taris? Don't I always come through?

The Captain tried to put her mind at ease.

Risha: Fair enough, but don't forget about Alderaan. Our customers ended up getting kicked out of their comfy home. Fortunately that clanker was actually valuable to them. Just try to cut down on the collateral, so we can get the maximum payout, ok?

A beeping sound announced the incoming call from the planet. Risha grimaced as though she was not eager to make the call, but she readied herself.

Risha: That's the Empowered One. Let's go earn some credits.

Continue the story -->

Why'd it have to be the force?
The Captain rolled their eyes.

Smuggler: Of course it has to be some kind of Force issue.Why couldn't it just be a giant two headed nerf or something?

Risha: Maybe because that would be too easy. Regardless, just keep an eye out. I'd hate to have some more Order of Shasa like incidents.

Smuggler: Yeah, I don't think they like me a whole lot.

Risha: Manaan wasn't one of our better PR moments.

A beeping sound interrupted Risha to announce an incoming call from the planet. Risha looked reluctant to make the call, but she readied herself.

Risha: Time to go charm the Empowered One. Hope you're ready.

Continue the story -->

What kind of beliefs?
Smuggler: What kind of beliefs are we talking here? The Force is everywhere kind of Jedi beliefs. Destroy everything kind of Sith beliefs? We're making it up as we go kind of every other Force group beliefs?

The Captain made light of the situation causing Risha to laugh.

Risha: I'm afraid that I don't have details, but its definitely not Jedi or Sith. I also don't think it's limited to just a group. No one mentioned any orders of Force users. But...

A beeping sound announced the incoming call from the planet. Risha expression took a more serious turn. She was not eager to make the call either, but she readied herself anyway.

Risha: Looks like time's up. That's the Empowered One. You'll have to figure out what's going on once we get there.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:49:39 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04/03/18, 06:23:50 PM »
Dialog Options

I'll stay out of it.

Continue the story -->

I'll support the people.
Smuggler: If I can, I'm going to help the people. Sounds like their getting the short end of this HyperMatter Stick.

Risha: You always did like helping the little guy. Just keep in mind that the fact that they are the little guy mean that their are big guys that might take offense at you meddling.

Continue the story -->

Smuggler: Whoever scratches my back, I'll scratch theirs. We'll see how it goes when we get down there.

The Captain's usual self-confidence projected an aura that everything would work out in the end. Risha was less convinced.

Risha: Fair enough, but be careful. If everyone tries to scratch your back you may wind up in a bigger mess than you've started with.

Continue the story -->

Smuggler: Simple, I'll support the highest bidder. I'm not running a charity here.

Risha laughed.

Risha: That would be the corporations, but I don't doubt for one minute that you'd support them against the government and their own people, then steal their hypermatter, and sell it to the highest bidder.

Continue the story -->

Risha gave the Smuggler a deeply concerned look as if they had grown another head which had offered to sing Kayfoundo Naweea.

Her tone was uncertain even as she asked the question. The Captain was unphased, ever plotting to turn any situation into an advantage.

Smuggler: Yes. You never know, it might not hurt to win some favors and get a new privateering contract. If this fuel is as expensive as you say it is. Someone will be back for it even if we clean up the Imperials now.

Risha was impressed. She hadn't considered how to make it a regular payout... yet.

Continue the story -->

[Flirt] Will you miss me?
The Captain was relentless.

Smuggler: Will you miss me if I die?

Risha was now starting to become genuinely irritated. She sniped the Captain.

Risha: No. One less scruffy nerf herder is fine, but it might mess with the payout.

Smuggler: Hey!

The Captain feigned being wounded by her comment.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 06:28:28 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/03/18, 06:27:40 PM »
Dialog Options

I'll stay out of it.

Continue the story -->

I'll support the people.

Continue the story -->

Continue the story -->

Risha laughed.

Continue the story -->

Continue the story -->

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/03/18, 06:47:50 PM »
Risha and the Smuggler headed for the main holoprojector just beyond the bridge of the ship as the rest of the crew joined them. The rigid figure of an older human man towered over the group from the Holoprojector. His dignified bearing was reminiscent of the nobles of Alderaan although the similarities stopped there.

Dark opalescent stones shone from the ornate decorations on his hooded cowl. The cowl was worn over a sturdy-looking, embroidered tunic that reached to his thighs covering the loose pants that gathered at the ankles. At his waist, more of the decorative stones caught the eye with their multicolored flashes of light. They lined the belt which looked to be a badge of rank or status. On his arms, over the sleeves of his tunic were armbands of metal and a tan colored crystals. It was unlike the fashion of the greater galaxy.

Empowered One: Captain.

The Empowered One bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement, his manner exceedingly formal and stiff.

Empowered One: I have reviewed your proposition. Risha has given a compelling argument and the presence of a Mandalorian on your crew is promising. They are reliable mercenaries. I agree to sponsor your involvement in our "Issue".

The Captain jumped at the prospect to get things moving.

Smuggler: Great, where should we land?

The Empowered One hesitated. He paused to allow himself time to chose his words more carefully.

Empowered: I believe that the more relevant question is when you will land. I have agreed to sponsor a proposal on your behalf, but it will still take time to pass the proposal through the proper channels for approval. However, I can authorize the release of supplies to make your wait more manageable.

Dialog Options

[Flirt] Perhaps we could meet in person?
The Smuggler gave the Empowered One an enticing smile and spoke coyly.

Smuggler: Perhaps you and I could meet privately then? We could discuss strategies for presenting our proposal over dinner.

The Empowered One's guarded facade wavered. His stern expression softened and he stumbled over a few incoherent syllables.

Empowered One: I...

He was stunned. Once he had had enough time to regain some of his wits,  embarrassment due to his own flustered reaction st in.  That led to the swift reconstruction of his emotional barriers. Nevertheless, it was clear the Captain had both caught him off guard and gotten under his skin.

Empowered One: Thank you for your offer but I'm afraid that I must decline. People would talk and that may further delay the process.

Continue the story -->

How long is that going to take?
The Captain became very concerned.

Smuggler: How long of a wait are we talking here?

Continue the story -->

Can't you push this along?
The Captain's patience began to give out.

Smuggler: Surely you can push this along a little faster? You are the leader. I came all the way out here to help not to sit in my ship.

Something the Captain said irked the Empowered one but he did not comment on it. Instead he dodged the question.

Empowered One: Your eagerness to assist is admirable and will be passed along, but I'm afraid there is still due process.

Continue the story -->

How much would it cost to speed this up?
The Captain grinned and laughed to themselves before speaking.

Smuggler: Alright, I understand. How much will it cost to move this process along faster?

The displeased look that came over The Empowered One's face spoke to his distaste of the concept, but he did not state it outright. However there was a snippy quality to his tone as he replied.

Empowered One: Should there be some such  financial assistance that would convince members of the committee to decide faster, I will pass it along. However, such an arrangement has not yet been made known to me.

Continue the story -->

That's unacceptable.
The Captain's patience was spent. They raised their voice to the Empowered.

Smuggler: Look, I'm not some grunt. I've got things to do and waiting for all of you to make up your minds isn't one of them. Do you want our help or not?

Risha immediately spoke up in an attempt to salvage the situation.

Risha: What the Captain means is that we were under the impression that we would be able to get to work soon.

Continue the story -->
« Last Edit: 04/10/18, 07:56:41 PM by Imazi »

tarea>
\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t  \n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<' + '/div>', sTemplateSubjectEdit: '', sTemplateBodyNormal: '%body%', sTemplateSubjectNormal: '%subject%<' + '/a>', sTemplateTopSubject: 'Topic: %subject%  (Read 7551 times)', sErrorBorderStyle: '1px solid red' }); aJumpTo[aJumpTo.length] = new JumpTo({ sContainerId: "display_jump_to", sJumpToTemplate: "