Shoutbox

Author Topic: Timelines  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
Timelines
« on: 05/03/18, 06:57:50 AM »
Do you ever set up timelines for your characters stories, or even just when each of them met any of the others?  What software do you use, if any?

I've used Aeon Timeline in the past, for other purposes; was going to play around with it here, too, but also considered just using Google Sheets to make a simple chart of some sort  -- like a vertically descending timeline, with branches to the left and right, or possibly just branches to the right with notes like, "7 ATC - Sotekh meets Kharys", or even dates on the left, notes on the right. 

Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline SquigglyV

• ladies like superior firepower
    • View Profile
Re: Timelines
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/18, 08:23:49 AM »
I've started doing this recently! Mostly just listing significant events and major battles for each of my characters.

For software I just use notepad lol. Formatted the same as your example, like "13 ATC - Takes command of Imperial forces in the Battle of New Cov." If I wanted to go more in-depth i'd probably have a section for each year and extensively list all the events underneath that.

Offline Jaydek

• Discord: Jaydek#7086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/04/18, 05:36:00 AM »
I have a GoogleSheets spreadsheet that logs major story events as well as milestones in each of my character's histories... it's not only helped me set things straight in my head, and helped me settle my characters in the world better, but also useful when building history with other's characters.

It was a bit of a nightmare for me to get my head around at first, but I'm glad I did :D

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/04/18, 09:47:28 PM »
I'm the same as Jaydek! Some time ago, I developed this spreadsheet for myself and opened it up to the rest of the community. I have a more personal version for myself which lists the same events in addition to milestones in my characters' lives and their ages at the time. It's been very helpful for confirming details and in keeping game timelines more coherent in my head.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

« Reply #4 on: 05/05/18, 10:59:12 AM »
I started to set one up for my characters a few weeks ago, but i had to reformat my laptop a couple of weeks ago, and i haven't been able to mess with it lately. Luckily it was saved in onedrive.

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/06/18, 05:39:10 AM »
I'm the same as Jaydek! Some time ago, I developed this spreadsheet for myself and opened it up to the rest of the community. I have a more personal version for myself which lists the same events in addition to milestones in my characters' lives and their ages at the time. It's been very helpful for confirming details and in keeping game timelines more coherent in my head.

I have a very similar one; I want something graphical, however.  Hmmm.
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/06/18, 05:51:16 AM »
I want something that looks like this:

Without having to build it manually in Google Slides.

ss="new_win">Simple Machines
TinyPortal 1.6.4 © 2005-2019
  • XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2