Shoutbox

Author Topic: Minds of Metal and Hearts of Gold  (Read 666 times)

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
Minds of Metal and Hearts of Gold
« on: 12/24/12, 12:59:31 AM »
If you were to step into the mind of a machine, you would recognize nothing at all. Even the most well crafted droids are so remarkably different from organic minds that comparing the two would be like comparing a planet to a space station. Whatever similarities there are, the differences rob the discussion of any real point, besides philosophical meanderings.

And yet, they clearly think. They may be nothing but machines, incapable of true emotions, creativity, or the minutia of life, but they are do still think, able to reason and calculate without much issue. I only wish I could see the truth that is inside their minds...

-from "Minds of Metal" by Jedi Master Baissy Lornell

--------

Day 832 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

At 1400 hours, T7-L5 powered up.

At 1404 hours, it checked it's duty queue. No new tasks.

Standing instruction: Perform systems diagnostics, contact sales desk if any problems are detected, shutdown once complete.

T7 ran through the diagnostics, looking around at it's bin. Only observable changes: minute increase in dust particles on ground.

At 1431 hours, T7 completed diagnostics. Minor irregularity in processor, moderate variance in primary motivator, significant damage to long range scanner. No observable change from last 702 reports.

At 1432 hours, T7 filed its report and shut down.

----

Day 1129 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

Standing instruction: Perform systems diagnostics, contact sales desk if any problems are detected, shutdown once complete.

T7 ran through the diagnostics, looking around at it's bin. Only observable changes: minute increase in dust particles on ground.

At 1431 hours, T7 completed diagnostics. Minor irregularity in processor, moderate variance in primary motivator, significant damage to long range scanner. No observable change from last 999 reports.

T7 considered. Just under a thousand reports, no response. Reports either not considered important or will not be used unless an event occurs. It would be faster to just report no change and recommend reading last full report.

Instructions are to file full report each day.

At 1432 hours, T7 filed its full report and shut down.

----

Day 1181 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

At 1431 hours, T7 completed diagnostics. Minor irregularity in processor, moderate variance in primary motivator, significant damage to long range scanner. No observable change from last 1061 reports.

T7 considered. Over a thousand reports, no response. Reports either not considered important or will not be used unless an event occurs. It would be faster to just report no change and recommend reading last full report.

Instructions are to file full report each day.

At 1432 hours, T7 filed an abbreviated report and, before shutting down, considered if this change would be noticed.

----

Day 1322 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

T7 looked around its bin. No disturbance of dust, no visitors.

T7 considered. Perhaps issue is that T7 is not valuable enough to sell?

T7 considered. Other droids could take an hour to complete diagnostics. T7 could use that time to develop better astrometric protocols. Become more valuable for sale, include information in diagnostic reports.

At 1500, T7 sent an abbreviated report, complete with a report on its progress with the protocols, and shut down.

----
Day 1409 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

T7 looked around its bin. No disturbance of dust, no visitors.

T7 began diagnostics, and resumed its count.

66539 = 11 * 23 * 263

66540 = 2^2 * 3 * 5 * 1109

66541 = 66541, prime.

T7 continued counting after its dignostics completed. T7 had considered the matter, and determined that no one was concerned with its activity, so spending an hour and a half active would go unnoticed.

At 1531, T7 sent its report and shutdown.

-----

Day 1633 of ownership by Shrilka Droidworks

At 1035 hours, T7-L5 was powered up, off schedule.

It immediately checked it's duty queue. No new tasks, but it's main camera saw three people: Shrilka, the Rodian owner, and a male and female human wearing blast goggles. And were talking. About T7!

Man: "-ure of it, bluebird, T7 units are solid!"

Woman: "Solid? Mr. Shrilka, how do these units fare against ion grenades?"

Shrilka: "Ion grenades? Why would-"

Man: "Look, that poor droid was getting torn apart! I was trying to save him!"

Woman: "Yes, excellent work."

Shrilka: "This one is in excellent condition, aside from a few minor cosmetic problems. Shame to let it go for so cheap."

Woman: "Is that so? Is the droid powered?"

Shrilka: "Yes! Feel free to ask it anything, these droids are all programmed for honesty!"

Man: "That so? Alright little guy, you have any problems that we'll need to fix?"

Standard protocol: Do not reveal any major mechanical or programming errors to potential customers.

T7, for the first time in 1633 days, spoke. "T7 = in excellent condition! // T7 = has minor programming flaw // Flaw = easily correctable!"

Shrilka: "See? Excellent droid!"

Man: "What kind of programming flaw?"

"T7 = programmed to lie about mechanical status"

Shrilka seemed angry, but T7 was following protocol! "Droid, how dare you-"

The woman waved her hand. "The droid's honesty was acceptable."

Shrilka suddenly stopped. "...yes, the droid's honesty was acceptable."

T7 considered. Handwaves followed by instant agreement may mean mind trick? Woman could be a Jedi.

Man: "...you didn't need to do that."

Woman: "He cheated first." She waved her hand again. "Please ask it about any errors it has."

Shrilka: "Droid, what errors do you have?"

T7: "T7 errors = Minor irregularity in processor + moderate variance in primary motivator + significant damage to long range scanner // Errors = fixable"

The woman smiled slightly at the man. "You were saying?"

Man: "You're cute when you're being smug. Shrilka, I'll take it off your hands for a thousand."

Shrilka: "That droid is worth-"

The woman waved her hand again. "A thousand is fair."

Shrilka: "-is worth a thousand."

Man: "...now you're just showing off."

Woman: "I would never do such a thing."

T7 watched the two bicker, quickly realizing that they meant to buy it. Free T7 of the restraining bolt, get it out of the bin, allow it to be useful again! T7 quickly ran another diagnostic on its motors, as well as its audio receptors.

By the time Shrilka was paid, and the restraining bolt was removed, T7's third scan of its systems were complete. It was free of the bin!

Once they had left Shrilka's Droidworks, T7 finally felt able to ask. "Woman = Jedi?"

She looked back at T7. "Quite a perceptive little thing. Yes, I am Jedi Knight Soldin, and this is my associate Captain Simon Dumas. I have a ship that needs tending, and Simon believes that a T7 unit will be suited for such a role."

T7 chirped happily in response. "T7 = great with ships! // Why Jedi = need droid now?"

Simon coughed. "There were a few ripper droids attacking, and were going after the old one. My valiant efforts at saving the old droid were for naught-"

T7 interrupted. "Dumas = use ion grenade?"

Soldin turned her head away. "A succinct description, little one. But do not worry, attacks on my droids seldom happen. All I ask is that you keep my vessel running smoothly, perform any tasks I ask of you, and warn me of any intruders. I hope you are up to the challenge, a Jedi Knight has a great deal of work they must attend to."

With that, T7 rolled up alongside Soldin. With incalculable certainty, it knew that he would never know thae boredom of the bin again. "T7 + Jedi = great team!"
« Last Edit: 12/24/12, 01:05:42 AM by ShaantilOrell »
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

r" target="_blank" class="new_win" title="Valid XHTML 1.0!">XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2