Shoutbox

Author Topic: Show The Love - Fundraising Raffle  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
Show The Love - Fundraising Raffle
« on: 01/31/17, 11:28:13 PM »
This website is a home for a great community, and I know that many of us frequent it daily. It is a home that further provides all sorts of wonderful amenities, beyond just that of a community forum - such as the HoloNet wiki, the Strongholds listing, the GuildNet features, and the Chatroom we use both for our RP events and for socializing. I would like to try to do something to support it.

My PVE guild recently had great success with a site fundraising initiative that my GM came up with, and I would like to try to replicate that success here. So I am hosting a contest for the month of February, the month with that oft-reviled lovers' holiday in it (from which I am drawing inspiration for the contest name). I'm hoping BC.org denizens can take this opportunity to...

:aww:Show The Love :aww:
A Fundraising Effort & Raffle for BC.org

Goal: To raise as many donation funds for the site as we can in the month of February! Those funds roll over into subsequent months, so maybe we can help the site out for many months to come.

This fundraising effort will take the form of a raffle, in which anyone who donates to the site in February is entered for a chance to win in-game prizes, which will be enumerated below. It's 100% organized and funded by me, and though I got permission from the site admins to do so it's important that no one take this to mean that I am speaking on their behalf, or that they are pressuring the community to donate. The admins have funded and maintained this site for us through dry spells and good spells, and never put the burden on the community in any way. I'd just like to reward that generosity by sharing the load!

How it Works: Below I will try to outline how it works. If people have questions not covered here, I'll update this section as they get answered.

:lightside: The contest will look at donations in the pre-set increments that can be found on the Donations page, using the last six: $5, $10, $15, $20, $25, $50.

:lightside: Any donation that hits any of the above-listed increments will count as an entry into the raffle. Meaning: if you donate $5, you get one entry. If you donate $15, you get three entries. If you donate $50, you get six entries. Multiple donations can go toward this total, but they will be summed up and then broken down by these increments to determine ultimate raffle entries (i.e., you could donate $5 on 2/3 and $10 on 2/20, together that would count as the $15 increment and three total entries).

:lightside: Participants would need to pick the option, when donating, for their name to be publicly shown. This is entirely so that I, as a normal site user, can have access to see how many entries into the raffle people will be getting. It's not meant to cause anyone to feel uncomfortable that they're donating more or less than other people. At the end of the day, we are all donating for the same reason: because we love the site. Those who, for any reason life circumstances might be throwing at them in February, can only donate $5 don't love the site any less than those who can donate $50. In fundraising, every little bit helps!

:lightside: On Tuesday 2/28 at 7:30 PM Server Time I will be in the BC.org chat room to do the prize drawing in real time. Each person will be assigned numbers equal in quantity to the number of their entries, and then I'll use the /roll function to see what numbers win! For example: If the contest gets a total of 40 entries, and you are entitled to three of them, you might be assigned numbers 11, 12, and 13, and if any of those are the result on a /roll 1d40 then you win! (You don't have to be present in the chat room in order to win; I'll post the winners on the forums too of course.)

:lightside: The window for donations will start on February 1st, and end on February 27th.

Prizes: The part everyone ultimately cares about!  :grin:

Grand Prize: 30 Million In-Game Credits
Second Prize: First pick choice of the below-listed prize items.
Third Prize: Second pick choice of the below-listed prize items.

Satele Shan's Sparring Lightsaber
Satele Shan's Dualsaber
Thexan's Lightsaber
Bastila Shan's Armor Set
Atris's Armor Set
Juhani's Armor Set
Nathema Sithspawn Mount
Ragebound Monolith Mount

:aww:Show The Love :aww:

I hope people will participate! If anyone has any questions please ask, and if anyone spots a flaw in any of the contest's structuring logic please speak up. I'll post any updates to the contest in this thread.
« Last Edit: 02/28/17, 01:34:42 AM by Niarra »
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
Re: Show The Love - Fundraising Raffle
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/17, 11:33:32 PM »
This is a wonderful idea Niarra! Thank you for organising it and for offering up the prizes!  :aww:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/17, 01:52:32 AM »
One week into February! I'll post a bump-up reminder here once a week. If you can donate to the site this month, please do - you might win prizes!  :cake:
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/18/17, 06:03:53 PM »
Just another reminder about this fund raising raffle, now that we're a little past the half-way point of the month. If we can get a couple more entries, I might increase the grand prize pot! (Shameless bribery.) And remember that even if you don't want/need any of the second and third place prizes you can always sell them on the GTN for credits.

« Reply #4 on: 02/19/17, 07:12:36 PM »
I really wish I could spare the cash for this month, but all my finances are tied up in debts that I absolutely must settle. But, hey, I did pay 100% of January tho'! I hope that accounts for somethin'. :aww:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/20/17, 12:21:03 AM »
I really wish I could spare the cash for this month, but all my finances are tied up in debts that I absolutely must settle. But, hey, I did pay 100% of January tho'! I hope that accounts for somethin'. :aww:

Of course it counts! Love is love at any time of the year, prizeless or otherwise.  :aww: And this is a good opportunity to mention that other generous community members offered to contribute prizes for this contest, but I declined with the suggestion that if others would like to host a repeat of this contest for another month that might work out better, in that it would give folks who can't donate this month a chance to donate on another month (myself among them, since I can't participate in my own contest) rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket.

And since I've seen some more donations come in, I will hold true to my promise in an earlier post, and I will increase the grand prize pot from 20 million up to 30 million credits!

« Reply #6 on: 02/20/17, 02:55:01 AM »

Of course it counts! Love is love at any time of the year, prizeless or otherwise.  :aww: And this is a good opportunity to mention that other generous community members offered to contribute prizes for this contest, but I declined with the suggestion that if others would like to host a repeat of this contest for another month that might work out better, in that it would give folks who can't donate this month a chance to donate on another month (myself among them, since I can't participate in my own contest) rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket.

And since I've seen some more donations come in, I will hold true to my promise in an earlier post, and I will increase the grand prize pot from 20 million up to 30 million credits!

:omg:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/20/17, 04:11:42 PM »

:omg:

Er... I just realized what I said might be misconstrued. Just to be safe, I should clarify: For the purposes of this raffle, only contributions made in the month of February count, A) because that's how I laid it out in the rules and B) because I have no way of viewing contributions for past months. Sorry, Thyss! :cry: :umm: But I meant it when I said that of course your previous contributions are valued and awesome and show all the love.  :aww:

Also, I will probably look at hosting this raffle again later in the year, so there will be a second opportunity for folks to donate, maybe at a time when donation is easier on their life circumstances. So there will be other chances! And if anyone else feels inspired to host similar raffles then there will be even more chances.  :cake:

« Reply #8 on: 02/22/17, 04:13:38 PM »
Don't worry, Niarra, I didn't misunderstand. I just think that what you're doin' is amazin', which in turn makes you amazin'. So, don't stop bein' amazin'. :grin:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/23/17, 04:29:50 PM »
Four days left to get in a donation in time for a raffle entry!  :cheer:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/26/17, 11:18:49 PM »
One more day for entries into the raffle!

And I may be setting some goodies aside so that anyone who made a donation but doesn't get a winning draw might still have something to be happy about...

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/28/17, 01:34:06 AM »
Entries for the raffle are now closed. Thanks so much to everyone who participated - we managed to raise almost four months' worth of funding for the site!  :whee:

As promised, I'll be in the chat room tomorrow (or today, rather) at 7:30 PM server time to "draw" the numbers! If you need to refresh your memory on how this will work, please see my original post on this topic for the rules, and to review all the prizes that will be available.

For those who donated, here are your assigned raffle numbers:

@Nicohlas: 1-13
@recoveringgeek: 14-25
@Dassalya: 26
@Cordae: 27
@Audaine: 28
@Seraphie: 29-30
@Karmic: 31-32

I will roll for the grand prize first, followed obviously by second and third place. As with most raffles, it is possible for the same person to win one, two, or all three of these prizes if they have the luck of the draw. (Or in this case, the favor of the digital dice gods.)

To give some extra thanks to all who participated with a donation, I'm going to also do the following: After the first three prizes are drawn, anyone who did not have their number drawn for a prize will automatically go into a new series of draws in which I will do a /roll until we get the number of someone who has not yet won, at which point they can pick a prize from what remains of the list. As soon as someone's number comes up, they are struck out of the remainder of the rolls. Then I'll continue rolling (automatically discarding rolls for previous winners), until the next non-winner number comes up, at which point they can choose, and so on, until everyone has claimed a prize.

If all participants are in the chat room we can sort choices out on the spot, but if not everyone is there I will do all the rolls and then sort out the prize-choosing via PM with the winners.

It just so happens that the above will work because the number of folks who participated almost perfectly matches the available prizes (and to compensate for a possible scenario in which the same person wins all three of the 1st-3rd place prizes, I'm adding one more item to the prize list: Atris's Armor Set).

Thanks again to all who participated, and I hope others might be inspired to host a similar contest sometime in June when the funds we raised this month run out!  :cake:
« Last Edit: 02/28/17, 01:39:10 AM by Niarra »

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/28/17, 08:19:59 AM »
Thanks for running this, Niarra! Stoked to hear that we're covered until June, now.  :grin:
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Audaine

• Parts Donor
  • <Flailing Intensifies>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/28/17, 03:23:01 PM »
Omg exciting!  :aww:

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 7.30PM mark 'cause I've got university orientation week I'm in charge of, so I'll keep an eye on the results on my phone where I can. Good luck to all involved!  :lightside: :lightside: :lightside:

[ ^ What? I actually update this link now? ^ ]

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/28/17, 07:01:47 PM »
Yea Hubby has me till past chat room time - so whatever people pick/left over as far as "stuff" for me (or nothing) I'm fine with!! :)

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

colony.org/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=post;rand=ced4a27ff0f9f764c360fcfe36db83a7", "post", 1); // ]]>