Shoutbox

Author Topic: Organized Operations - Training and Runs for the Community  (Read 21564 times)

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
In my PVE incarnation in SWTOR, I'm an officer for a small PVE guild that currently (like many PVE guilds) has been feeling the lack of enthusiasm (and the bleeding of members) that the dearth of new PVE content has caused.

But on a couple recent occasions, my guildmaster and I have found ourselves helping out folks who wanted to see an Uprising or two, but who didn't otherwise have a friendly group to do them with. The experience reminded us that even when we can't be progression raiding ourselves, sometimes it's just really nice to be able to help others see some of the game's content. It's old hat to us, but there are plenty of people who've never had the opportunity to see a lot of what the game's group content has to offer.

We talked it over and decided we'd both be willing to put together a team of "new raiders" and just have fun working through the group content with new folks. And so, I am here to pitch this idea to our BC RP community, to gauge interest!

The Goal

To give folks who have never had chance to see the game's Operations (and maybe some of the harder Flashpoints) an opportunity to experience this group content. This would be a learning experience, not "being carried" through the content.

The idea is to get as many totally new folks involved as possible, with a minimum sprinkling of experienced raiders in key roles to help teach. If you've already seen all the content and would just like to offer to help, please mention as much when you respond. Depending on the level of interest and participation, more experienced players may be moved into a "reserve" pool so that the new folks get first priority.

The way I'm currently envisioning this, we would put together an 8 man team of folks who are interested in going the long haul. We would like, if at all possible, to keep the same group more or less intact as we progress through the content. In this respect, the group would become its own "progression raiding" group, as if we were back in the vanilla days of the game and tackling each new Ops in normal/story mode as it was released.

This means that if you're interested, while you are of course not obligated to stick to the group until the end, you might have more fun if you do - there's a sense of accomplishment that comes from knowing that you and your group stuck it through and downed all those bosses, even if it takes months.

The Road Map

I thought it might be most fun to approach this from a story perspective. The game has its own timeline of events, and the Operations all fall into it. This thread on the official forums has a great post (the second one down) wherein someone has outlined the timeline of the full game, slotting each Flashpoint and Ops from level 50 onward into its place.

The plan for this project would be to do all of the Operations, in the order as they are shown on that timeline. Depending on how people respond to some questions I'll pose later in this post, we may or may not also include the Flashpoints in the road map - but if we do, it would only be those Flashpoints that can not be run with a solo story mode. (That means the Ilum FPs and the SoR FPs would not be included, but stuff like the Kaon and Czerka ones would be.)

Considerations

Another wipe! As I mentioned earlier, the goal here is to teach folks the Operations, and to have a new batch of players learn and execute the mechanics. If you're new to raiding and group content, you should be prepared for failure. A lot of it. That's par for the course, and part of the fun! (Or at least, it's part of what will make it feel so rewarding when you do succeed.) But it's important to set your expectations accordingly, and to know that if you embark on this journey you're doing so as much for the agony of the learning experience as to see new content. 

Move left! Left, left! No, your other left! To really teach and execute group content well, particularly if you're looking at "progression raiding," communication is key. It is much, much easier to give instructions in voice chat, not to mention faster. Therefore one of the requirements for this project would be for all folks to have voice chat; we would create a custom Discord server for our group to join. It would not be required for you to speak, if you don't wish to; we've had guildies in the past who choose to keep voice chat on audio only, and that's fine. But there's often a lot of information that needs to be conveyed to learn the mechanics of a raid, and often successfully getting through a fight requires that you be able to hear your raid leader calling out instructions or warnings in real time.

Same bat time, same bat channel? Even if we were to miraculously clear one Operation per night (we won't), you're still looking at a lot of nights. Factor in multiple attempts at the same Operation and this becomes a long journey. That means that people should be prepared to be at this for many, many weeks. We'll poll participants to find a time and day that works best for everyone. Depending on people's level of enthusiasm and availability, this might be one night a week, or one night every other week. But it will certainly be recurring.

So many numbers... what do they all mean? Gear. Yes, gear matters. No one needs to worry about having Galactic Command levels to do this, but when we begin (starting with the Eternity Vault Operation), everyone would need to be geared in at minimum the level 65 mods (rating 210) that you can buy from the Fleet vendor, and be sporting the correct stats for your Discipline. We will help folks determine what those are, if you need guidance, as part of the learning process. But you have to be willing to take that gearing step.

So, with all of the above being said, a few things to consider carefully if you think you'd be interested in joining such a group:
  • Be prepared to die a lot! If you know that you're not the personality type who can embrace the cost of a learning experience cheerfully (or the repair bill), this might not be the group for you.
  • If you are simply not comfortable getting into a voice chat channel, not even on just audio only, this might not be the group for you.
  • Be prepared to dedicate weekly time to the project. Generally speaking this would be about two hours per scheduled night. 
  • Be willing to endure a little bit of gearing and numbers talk. It won't be overwhelming, but it does matter.

:lightside:

Interested?

If you think you might be interested in participating in this project, please post here and let me know! Please take the time to answer the following questions:

1. What faction would you prefer to do this with?
2. What role would you prefer to do this with? (Tank, Healer, or DPS.)
3. Do you have the character flexibility to do this with a second-choice role if needed, and if so, which?
4. What's your level of experience with Operations?
  • Total Newb (I've never seen the inside of an Operation.)
  • Semi-Newb (I've poked my head in once or twice, but still mostly a Newb.)
  • Rookie (I've been in there enough to know my head from my ass, but I could still use a lot of guidance.)
  • Captain (Hey, I sort of remember this boss fight! Yeah, that's right, I shouldn't have jumped in that lava. It's coming back to me now.)
  • Big Boss (I've been through all of the game's Operations on story mode and some of them on hard mode too, and actually mostly remember them.)
5. Are you interested in sticking it out for the full progression (all of those Ops in timeline order!), or mostly just peeking in on something here and there?
6. Would you want to include Flashpoints in the plan, or just Operations?

:lightside:

I'll give it a couple weeks to gather replies, and then see what we've got to work with. The faction we choose to go with will ultimately depend entirely on majority rule, with apologies to anyone who may not have characters on both factions. Similarly, not everyone may get their first choice of role, because - as with any raiding group - sometimes people have to be flexible for the needs of the group.

Priority will be given to people with less experience, but if you're an experienced PVE player and willing to sit in reserve it would be appreciated. Let me know in a reply!
« Last Edit: 03/13/17, 11:33:25 PM by Niarra »
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
Re: Organized Operations - Training and Runs for the Community
« Reply #1 on: 03/13/17, 11:26:00 PM »
I'd definitely be interested in this.  Few months ago you helped me with a couple single boss Op runs I ran, mainly to help @Seraphie dip her toes into Operations.

If she's interested in this, I'll be along too.  I can do any role on either faction.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/14/17, 12:19:34 AM »
Definitely be interested! I have as a goal to overcome my fear of operations and @Sebrik has helped me some with this already. I don't mind dying a lot. I expect it. I get stressed when I feel like I'm letting the rest of the team down by dying a lot. I don't mind voice and can handle number talk. The biggest challenge for me is the time comitment. My available time to be able to focus on something like this usually starts once my kids are in bed, meaning I don't always have a long enough block for an op before I really should be getting to bed, and my start time is late. I'd love to learn some, but I don't think I'll be able to commit to this every week. A scheduled once a month would be more likely to be my speed. Don't know if there's a way for that to be compatible with what you're planning.

Offline Erednash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/14/17, 08:17:14 AM »
Bit of a veteran when it comes to the operations (Big Boss on your experience rank, except the SoR ops), but I should be game if needed. Be aware, my internet has been somewhat buggy as of late, so mini-dcds are a possibility with me. I mostly work as a tank with my Main Ered'nash, could possibly do some grinding on my other toons of healer or dps needed. Imp-Side, at least. Only got a DPS Pub-side nearly leveled enough to get started on ops, and her gear situation isn't all that good. I've done all the flashpoints at least once, so I'm good if those are included.

Offline TrickyNick87

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/14/17, 08:20:57 AM »
Put my name in the hat as an experienced healer if you find yourself needing one. I've done all the OPs; all the HM FPs; most OPs in HM and even a few NiM. I've taken down all the big OPs bosses except the Colossal Monolith.

My healer is currently pimped out in nearly full 242/240 gear with all set pieces.

I can heal Imp or Pub side as needed, but... "All glory to the Sith Empire!"

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/14/17, 01:08:01 PM »
I know I would definitely be interested in this, and I have a feeling @Cyone would be interested too (but I'll let him speak for himself now that I've got the handy dandy 'you got mail!' notification heading his way). As for my answers...

1. I would prefer Pubside, but I have capabilities to join Impside.
2. Healer please! But I also have DPS available. Impside, I believe my only character(s) available are DPS.
3. See above.
4. Semi-newb. I've been here since beta, but I... yeah. The planets have rarely aligned.
5. I would love to be around for all of them! Whether or not my schedule will allow that, however, is a different matter.
6. I'd be happy to do both Ops and Flashpoints, but I'd rather focus on Ops if Flashpoints would divert too much of our time (since this seems to be a relatively hefty undertaking as it is).
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Avuras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/14/17, 06:53:55 PM »
Personally, this is a fantastic idea. I remember when I used to take part in operations with a different group years ago.

One thing to keep in mind is that rare crafting materials can drop during ops runs, such as Void Matter Catalysts and Exotic Istotope Stabilizers. Those have a decent sell value (especially the Void Matter Catalysts), but they're also used for crafting rating 230/234/240 item modifications -- even if you don't get any gear drops within the ops themselves, crafters can turn those into some nice gear upgrades.

While actual equippable items 234+ require Superior Resource Matrixes (as opposed to Void Matter Catalysts), I'll happily put together hilt modifications if any of you acquire such items while running ops (if you're Republic-side, that is -- legacy storage might be a way to transfer these items between factions). Upgrading your main-hand lightsaber weapon with one of these modifications can provide a nice boost when running Story Mode ops.

On the other hand, rating 230 items do not require Void Matter Catalyst/Superior Resource Matrix, so I can throw together a decent relic of certain types if you need one. Remember, relics automatically triggering on dealing damage/ healing which grant bonus Power/Mastery are mathematically the best increases to DPS for sustained fights.
Avuras (Jedi Knight)

Offline Cyone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/14/17, 07:38:08 PM »
I would be interested in this, yes! As for the other qualifying information:

1. I can go either way, Pub or Imp. I generally tend to have a little more fun playing my Imp character, but I'm certainly no stranger to or detractor of the ol' R-public.

2. I tank. It's what I do. It is... pretty much all I've ever done. In anything. I have four characters, two on each side, and they are all tanks. I love doing it, and while I can theoretically function as a passable DPS, it's really not worth it to me at that point for multiple reasons, if I'm being truthful. I don't really mind whether I'm main or off tanking, but... yeah. I recognize this is probably a little frustrating from a group organization perspective, and I apologize for that. If it means I can't really participate, or whatever other consequences, I totally accept and am fine with that. Unfortunately, however, I just have neither the energy nor the inclination to really branch out at this time.

3. Oh I didn't realize that was two separate questions I just answered there.

4. Rookie is probably the best fit for me. I've played this game a long time and been around the block more than once with Ops and whatnot, but I've never done them with any frequency or seriousness and I sure as heck don't know most of the fights. That being said, other than the specifics of said fights (which I find usually aren't that complicated), I'm pretty confident in my tanking ability.

5. I would love to be around for as much as possible, but those are kinda the operative words. As much as possible. I really can't promise I will be able to commit to anything too rigorous or lengthy, and I'm afraid I'd be pretty hit or miss if I'm honest with myself. Just too much other stuff in my life right now, sadly.

6. No. I enjoy Flashpoints, but as Dassalya noted, Ops would already be a sizeable commitment, and I think it would be best to leave FPs for another project or just leave it. Plus, they're a lot easier to get into and experience without organization anyway.

As a final note to add to my already lengthy answer: I couldn't tell you exact numbers, but my gear is no doubt sufficient on both my primary Pub and Imp toons. They're both max level and, while they are by no means "tricked out," they're fully geared in post game-worthy kit.
« Last Edit: 03/14/17, 07:42:56 PM by Cyone »

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/14/17, 10:13:15 PM »
@Sebrik and @Nicohlas and @Erednash - Thanks for putting your names into the hat for helping out! I'll definitely want to keep a 'reserve' pool of experienced folks, both for filling gaps if we don't have a full team of 8, and also for filling gaps on any given scheduled night if one of the regulars can't make it (that way the progression keeps moving forward).

@Seraphie - I hear you on the commitment. Scheduling can be the bane of raiding just as it is the bane of RP sometimes. :) I threw weekly out there, but I honestly don't think that's terribly feasible. On the other hand, I don't believe that once a month is feasible for the purpose/goal either; that would be far too long between attempts for people to retain the lessons of the last run or make significant progress. At the moment I'm thinking the best compromise would be every other week, and maybe on a Saturday night so that people don't have school or 9to5 commitments the next day. I know that's not a perfect fit for everyone, but it might be the best fit for most people. Ultimately scheduling is a question we'll need to tackle later, once we have a good idea of the people who might be involved.

@Avuras - Thanks for offering some crafting! That touches on something I thought I would do a dedicated thread about once we had a group built and were ready to get started. While I mentioned the 210 mods as a minimum, I would also be happy to craft 228 main hand and offhand hilts/barrels/armoring for everyone involved when we get started, as those don't require special mats and I have plenty of them on hand. But you're very right that as we go through the Ops and start getting mats drops, we could craft upgrades for the group. And we'll be getting gear drops on the way as well, especially since we're not likely to start before 5.2 drops, not to mention the basic 228s and 230s people should start getting from their crates as we go. (And your good advice about the relics is something I was also going to include in a gearing post, pointing out that it's actually preferable for folks to run a lower rating Equip bonus relic than a 228 Use relic.)

@Cyone - Don't worry about rolling only a tank, as a group always needs more tanks and healers.

I'm gathering data from everyone's replies here, and after another week or so (giving others time to see the post and think it over), I'll update with a table of candidates and roles.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/14/17, 11:28:34 PM »
I do stuff sometimes when I'm not bent over maniacally at work.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/14/17, 11:31:02 PM »

I know all about you, LVT.  :lol: If you think you'd be able to put yourself into the 'reserves' pool as a DPS, that would be awesome.

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/14/17, 11:38:41 PM »

I know all about you, LVT.  :lol: If you think you'd be able to put yourself into the 'reserves' pool as a DPS, that would be awesome.

Yes but I want to find time for guild events too xD
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/15/17, 12:22:48 AM »
@Seraphie - I hear you on the commitment. Scheduling can be the bane of raiding just as it is the bane of RP sometimes. :) I threw weekly out there, but I honestly don't think that's terribly feasible. On the other hand, I don't believe that once a month is feasible for the purpose/goal either; that would be far too long between attempts for people to retain the lessons of the last run or make significant progress. At the moment I'm thinking the best compromise would be every other week, and maybe on a Saturday night so that people don't have school or 9to5 commitments the next day. I know that's not a perfect fit for everyone, but it might be the best fit for most people. Ultimately scheduling is a question we'll need to tackle later, once we have a good idea of the people who might be involved.

I'm certainly game to put my name in the pool and try. Saturday evening is definitely the slot with the greatest chance of success for my making it. And if @Sebrik is there, you probably quadruple the chance of my being there... or more, lol.

1. I'm pretty sure I can manage either side with a scoundrel or an operative.

2. Definitely want DPS. I was healer for my very first Ops experiences with Anaris and I think that was part of what gave me such a phobia of them.

3. Either -could- be respec'd as a healer, I just would need a lot of support, mostly emotional, to take that on.

4. Somewhere between total newb and semi-newb. I've done Toborro's Courtyard and Eyeless with Seb leading and guiding me and found that they were not the heart-thundering horror I remembered.

5. Probably more here and there.

6. Probably more operations than flashpoints.

I think either side my character is sufficiently geared. My operative has one 210 piece but the rest are all 228/230. My scoundrel isn't quite as well geared, with one 208 piece and a few 210/216, but more than half are 228/230.

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/26/17, 04:16:59 PM »
I'm just bumping this thread to see if there's any additional interest in this undertaking. For any RPers who've wanted to try group content but don't want to deal with jerks, this is the opportunity to do it in an organized fashion with your fellow RPers and other friendly folks.

Below is the status as I read it from the thread so far. As you can see, it's not currently enough to put together a full group, unless some of our veterans definitely agree to participate (ie, the folks I have listed as 'reserve' are pulled in off the bench).

Healers
Niarra (Organizer)
Dassalya
Healers, Reserve
Nicohlas

Tanks
Cyone
Tanks, Reserve
Erednash

DPS
Zaxximus (Organizer)
Seraphie
DPS, Reserve
Sebrik

LVT and Avuras - I wasn't totally clear from your responses if you wanted to sign up or not, so I haven't slotted you in anywhere. If you do want to participate just let me know, and chime in on the role questions. 

It looks like we would probably be going for Republic side, based on responses so far.

This isn't a final list by any means, just a status check. Anyone else who'd like to dip their toe in (or change their preference), just speak up!

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/26/17, 06:00:28 PM »
I'm very interested actually - either as a DPS or a tank (though no experience at all tanking I am tank spec assassin when I quest lol).

I have experience in other games raiding - and even raid leading - but here its been only a few times and years since those.

My issue will be what nights/times really.  Its content I'd love to see, but certain nights are right out for me.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

new smfCaptcha("http://www.begerencolony.org/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=post;rand=a0b8dee7299888a9c67d39611dfef07c", "post", 1); // ]]>