Shoutbox

Author Topic: Auryn of Worlds  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
Auryn of Worlds
« on: 02/14/18, 01:12:10 AM »
I been makin' planets.

Two of the three planets in the Yggdris System, Wild Space:

Yggdris

Maguire

I hope compression has been kind to them - they're too dark on one of my screens and too light on another. >_>
« Last Edit: 02/14/18, 01:15:06 AM by Auryn »
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline SquigglyV

• ladies like superior firepower
    • View Profile
Re: Auryn of Worlds
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/18, 07:10:39 AM »
I like them a lot! Especially Yggdris with the rings.

How did you make them? They turned out a lot better than mine ever do, lol.

Offline Mei

• let your darker side give in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/14/18, 07:45:33 AM »
Wow!!!!
Sometimes I get creative: Story Collection || Artwork Collection

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/14/18, 02:39:49 PM »
Wouldn't recommend holidaying to the second one

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Wandering Warrior
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/14/18, 03:54:02 PM »
Very nice!
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/14/18, 08:01:16 PM »
Thanks peeps :) They're really quite fun to make. When I have less on my plate I'll happily take some requests.

@SquigglyV , initially I just looked up some tutorials on Google, but since then I've made my own .psd template that I work from which takes out about half the work, as it can be a bit of a process to do over and over again. But seriously, there are tutorials for everything out there. :aww:

Also, uuh, just some precursor advice - name your layers. Just do it. Don't be me and spend ten minutes scrolling through them looking for 'that one with the shadow that isn't as strong as the other shadow bit'. :grin:

Offline SquigglyV

• ladies like superior firepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/15/18, 08:10:59 AM »
Oh god, yes, name your layers. Especially if any of them are transparent or have small features. Far easier than having to hide and unhide every layer until you find the one you want, then messing up anyway because it moved you to the next layer down.

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/25/18, 07:40:44 PM »
Because I hate myself, I tend to... name half my layers, then have to play a guessing game for five minutesa every time I need to switch to another, or check what is on what...

*laugh-cries* :grin: :sigh: :halo:

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/04/18, 07:44:41 PM »
Think I might use this thread for my image manip stuff in general and not just planets... title still suits :D

Want to show a before and after look at what went into the image I used in 'A Corrupted Prize', and a bit of my process :)

Why? Partly for anyone who is curious, partly because process is exciting, and also partly for those who say it's 'amazing and magic I could never do that' - because you can, it's easy and just takes a bit of practice, and some good tools. If anyone shows any interest, would happily put together some Screenshot Fancy-Uppering tutorials.

Screenshot:

Final Image:

Project:

Cleanup!
The first thing I always do is clean up any rogue elements in the image. This includes things like clipping hair or clothing or fingers, and smoothing out the edges of the character's mesh. Sometimes it's a quick job, sometimes I'll agonize over it for hours, but the Clone Stamp tool and the Smudge Tool is always my friend.

I did do an overall cleanup, but; problem areas, in this case, were mainly the thumb clipping through the holo-projection unit and them pointy elbows. Arms are usually the worst perps, followed closely by hair:

Aaand done:

Physical Presence in a Scene:

This is the smallest but most important aspect to really add more dimension.

Your character is influenced by about three 'layers' of lighting in the game - dynamic lighting, which is usually only present in cut scenes; global illumination, which is the lighting scheme you are affected by depending on location (Rishi vs. Nar Shaddaa); and your 'personal' light, which follows you around as you run about in game so you never have too much trouble being able to see your character, and which also casts your shadow while you go running about in the world (it changes depending on the area, but its sole purpose is to light you up, baby!).
This is the cheapest way to run lighting in an engine and seems to be the extent of SWTOR's capabilities - if every element of your environment was to have a different lighting effect on your character, your computer would crash before you could say 'Nox!'

However this can make characters stick out from a background as though they are an artificial element, floating above the influence of the world. It isn't too bad in an MMO, where you kinda want your character to pop off the screen a bit, but it can make your character look strangely 'not-present' in a screenshot. For instance, as you'll note from the original screenie above, Feyda's body is not interacting with the hologram at all, which should be casting light on him. Again - fine for the game, but really makes the image look flat.

The quickest way to add more depth is a simple reflective glow in the eyes. Watch here how much the eyes pop and add mood and presence to the scene just after adding some reaction:

-->

I did add some glow on his body after too, but honestly if I'd been lazy or pressed for time I could have left it like this and it would have been fine. He instantly feels more present in the scene, holding that hologram, and it even sharpens the emotion on his face.

After that, I in no particular (or great) order:
- Added Belsavis to the hologram itself. Did this with a screenshot of the Belsavis planetary display deco, and added some layer effects to mimic the holo-look as you can see in the 'Belsavis_Overlay' layer.
- Added some photo filters to give the impression of night. Be careful with this in PS as things will look lighter in the program prior to exporting and compressing a file. Originally my image was too dark, and will still look too dark on some monitors - in the end I went with the preview of it I saw on my housemate's Retina display.
- Added a border. A simple 1px thick black line helps an image pop from the webpage.

Things I wanted to do but didn't:
- Added body tattoos to Feyda. He has them, and I didn't draw them in, 'cuz I got lazy busy.
- Be super massively picky about perfectly blocking in the glow. Could have been better, but post-filter you barely notice the mistakes unless you're looking for them, or me.

And that's about it! If you've bothered to read this, thanks for taking an interest in my workflow :) I don't pretend to be any kind of expert, but I love sharing process as I love being able to see the process of others, as well.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/04/18, 08:03:10 PM »
Even with a tutorial, it still seems a little like magic to me... :P

Very cool little tutorial! Looking forward to seeing more stuff!
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

ref="http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php" title="License" target="_blank" class="new_win">SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
TinyPortal 1.6.4 © 2005-2019
  • XHTML
  • RSS
  • WAP2