Shoutbox

Author Topic: Mineral Composition  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Rivoso

• View Profile
Mineral Composition
« on: 12/21/20, 12:38:11 PM »
By god, those old Mando folks had Beskar right from the start  :umm:

https://youtu.be/z6BNYexPsFw?t=14
https://youtu.be/3toN-Pl5V4s?t=13
"Ah, yes. It's an older RPer, but he still checks out." -The Best Imperial Officer

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: Mineral Composition
« Reply #1 on: 12/22/20, 10:36:31 AM »
I have to wait until I've started watching the Mandalorian again before I can watch these. :umm:
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/22/20, 02:48:19 PM »
By god, those old Mando folks had Beskar right from the start  :umm:

https://youtu.be/z6BNYexPsFw?t=14
https://youtu.be/3toN-Pl5V4s?t=13

Eh - in the various forums I'm reading (threads about the SHOW not about SW lore in general mind you) - there are many commenting about how Beskar got some 'upgrades' in how saber-proof it was.  No one really 'complaining' mind you, just more of "well Beskar was saber resistant not saber-proof but apparently Disney Lore says PROOF!" =D

I wouldn't know as I knew nothing about Beskar before SWTOR and Mandalorian.  Just passing on the views of others who claim to know about this on internet forums.  Take that as you will.

And apparently, helmet rule wasn't a rule.  Just a rule for a specific sect, and not all of Mandoa.  Per the Disney Canon now, anyway. *shrugs*

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Rivoso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/22/20, 04:44:15 PM »
As much as I value other forums and their discussions, what was once off screen has now been made on screen. I don't believe any claim of it being "saber proof" was made in the past. But hot dayum, without spoiling anything, that Beskar is pretty true to the "Legends" lore. Gonna need at least three hours and a hearty lunch to cut through that stuff  :umm:
"Ah, yes. It's an older RPer, but he still checks out." -The Best Imperial Officer

Offline SivWysan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/22/20, 08:04:17 PM »
I was pretty downright thrilled with those fights. The acoustics of all three times a lightsaber encountered Mandalorian iron were just incredible.

My understanding is that the pure form was believed to be lightsaber resistant, along with cortosis (which actually shorts out blades), and phrik, a third somehow lightsaber resistant material. Although my sources are rusty at the momentand I have a good chunk of the clone trooper novels to still get through properly.

I am also intrigued how in one fight a certain character does intentionally lock with the spear briefly and it does begin to glow red... Perhaps hinting at familiarity of fighting mandalorians with that particular saber, and trying to get the metal to a melting point by sustained contact? Obviously there is some melting point for the forage to work but it's interesting to wonder if lightsabers can eventually cut their way through but only with great difficulty and time.

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/23/20, 06:27:37 PM »
I was pretty downright thrilled with those fights. The acoustics of all three times a lightsaber encountered Mandalorian iron were just incredible.

My understanding is that the pure form was believed to be lightsaber resistant, along with cortosis (which actually shorts out blades), and phrik, a third somehow lightsaber resistant material. Although my sources are rusty at the momentand I have a good chunk of the clone trooper novels to still get through properly.

I am also intrigued how in one fight a certain character does intentionally lock with the spear briefly and it does begin to glow red... Perhaps hinting at familiarity of fighting mandalorians with that particular saber, and trying to get the metal to a melting point by sustained contact? Obviously there is some melting point for the forage to work but it's interesting to wonder if lightsabers can eventually cut their way through but only with great difficulty and time.

Well in attempts to not spoil the show - Moff Gideon (lore wise) both has experience fighting Mandalorians, and with the Dark Saber. He took it off Mandoes after all. 

And I *believe* there are theories that the Dark Saber is different than other light sabers.  Again, read through other posters in other forums - not really looked into myself.

But yes, I too appreciated that at least with that 'thin' spear - it was heating up with 'extended' battle contact.  Thereby implying that if con't long enough it could/would start to 'bend.' 

Just sad we had to wait 2 seasons to get Pedro Pascal both a spear, and a spear-fight scene.  Considering that's his 'thing' (a technique he got skeels with before, or For, his role in GoT), I was hoping to see a lot more such action before the pinnacle of Season 2!

But yea, "light saber resistant" has certainly been Disney cannoned as "Light saber PROOF" - no one gets through Din's armor, with *anything*, for the 2 seasons so far.

Offline SivWysan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/23/20, 07:25:09 PM »
Good to see you Karmic! I wasn't clear Gideon personally claimed the blade in battle from Mandos, only that it "had" been taken from them... although his relationship to certain others hunting him suggests personally they did feel the need to personally fight him to get it back. His talk about it did strike me as intentionally ambiguous, though I want to rewatch a few times.

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/24/20, 11:38:49 AM »
Good to see you Karmic! I wasn't clear Gideon personally claimed the blade in battle from Mandos, only that it "had" been taken from them... although his relationship to certain others hunting him suggests personally they did feel the need to personally fight him to get it back. His talk about it did strike me as intentionally ambiguous, though I want to rewatch a few times.

Well - and this is where I"m not sure what's been actually explained in this particular Series - vs. the Cartoon Series a lot of this season is related to (Rebels? Clone Wars? one of those...) - vs. Extended Old Canon.

Most of this though I've learned reading forum threads about the show - and everyone else who's actually read and watched all this back stuff is filling it in.

But per EU Canon and possibly the Animated Series stuff Disney has done: (not Mando specific spoilers but 'plot' history some might see as spoilers in the cut below)

Spoiler: show

Moff Gideon took the DarkSaber Directly - himself - from Bo Katan (I believe it was her) beating her in a fight.  He was involved, directly, with destroying the Mando culture - attacking the home world, etc. - after the Empire fell (I think that's the timeline) and that's how he got his hands on it.  So he definitely has experience in this area. =D

Again - this is all back (some canon some not verified in the Disney-Verse) story from the other Shows and not really gotten into, or explained much at all (if any), from "The Mandalorian" itself.

Offline Rivoso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/24/20, 02:29:57 PM »
I'm certain they'll shed some light on how Gideon got his hands on the saber in the next season. That said, I've come to appreciate all the little details and mentions to the Legends canon about Mandos that Filoni has been dropping in the series.

Though I don't really see the dark saber being any different than a regular lightsaber given the screen time both variants have had. It has a different shape, hilt, and colour, but it still walks and talks like a lightsaber you know?

Either way, slicing through beskar in a combat scenario is confirmed to not be plausible, so I wonder what other little details Filoni will be sprinkling into the Disney canon from Legends  :grin:

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/27/20, 01:47:29 PM »
I'm certain they'll shed some light on how Gideon got his hands on the saber in the next season. That said, I've come to appreciate all the little details and mentions to the Legends canon about Mandos that Filoni has been dropping in the series.

Though I don't really see the dark saber being any different than a regular lightsaber given the screen time both variants have had. It has a different shape, hilt, and colour, but it still walks and talks like a lightsaber you know?

Either way, slicing through beskar in a combat scenario is confirmed to not be plausible, so I wonder what other little details Filoni will be sprinkling into the Disney canon from Legends  :grin:

Oh quite agree!  I am curious to see where they're taking the third season; just disappointed we won't be finding out until after 12/21 :/ 

Boba Fett's great and all, but I'm invested with THIS GUY - I wanna see more of HIM; not wait two years just because Disney wants me on the other new shinies.  We'll give them all a shot, until we get oversaturated or something isn't all /that/.  (Hubby may still watch the B tier Star Wars; I, however, can get burned out.  :grin: )

And yea, I'm /not/ expecting Dark Saber to be more than just "different color saber" and maybe a bit stronger;  but I think it was made differently and so there's some speculation (or perhaps lore from other sources - honestly not sure here) that it should do "more" or perhaps "better" than a regular lightsaber (whether Beskar and perhaps that was evident in the spear heating up as mentioned previously or just 'on any surface' in general).  But that could have been just "fan of a fan theories' so to speak, I was reading - I am not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference if they don't specify!  :umm:  :grin: :aww:
« Last Edit: 12/27/20, 01:50:53 PM by Karmic »

/script>