Shoutbox

Author Topic: Dark Theme Suggestion  (Read 8317 times)

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
Dark Theme Suggestion
« on: 05/11/17, 07:40:32 PM »
A lot of popular websites are releasing dark mode/theme toggles, which simply switch bright whites to darker grey or blacks.  It's very pleasant on the eyes at night.  Seeing as this site is primarily white and bright, a dark mode would be nice!

EDIT: I suggested a toggle, not that the whole site should just be turned to dark colours.  Obviously the choice would be up to the user.
« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 10:19:51 AM by Sebrik »

Offline Mei

• let your darker side give in
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Theme Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/17, 07:53:30 PM »
The web designer in me needs to chime in. If a dark theme is decided on, please make it so users can choose to embark down the dark side of the site and not something that will be standard. I tend to stay away from dark themed websites as a graphics choice simply because dark background with bright text isn't very friendly to read.

So a "toggle" or "choose your own theme" ideas would be best for those who prefer dark sites. I merely find them "uninviting".
Sometimes I get creative: Story Collection || Artwork Collection

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/17, 07:58:02 PM »
I coulda sworn this site used to have a dark theme when M3 was making some upgrades.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/17, 08:56:43 PM »
The web designer in me needs to chime in. If a dark theme is decided on, please make it so users can choose to embark down the dark side of the site and not something that will be standard. I tend to stay away from dark themed websites as a graphics choice simply because dark background with bright text isn't very friendly to read.

So a "toggle" or "choose your own theme" ideas would be best for those who prefer dark sites. I merely find them "uninviting".

I disagree. Dark themes are way easier on the eyes. As a programmer, it's the first switch I flip on.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/11/17, 09:33:35 PM »

I disagree. Dark themes are way easier on the eyes. As a programmer, it's the first switch I flip on.

And I switch them off whenever possible, so I'll echo the request that we be given the choice.

Offline Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/17, 04:56:02 AM »
To each their own. I'm simply saying that if the option to keep it light, if they do decide to go dark, doesn't present itself, there will be a drastic decrease in the time I spend here. Its why I don't really visit the game's website even, unless someone alerts me to something that may be of interest. I don't know what it is about dark sites exactly, but they just don't appeal to me as a user (and I felt that way before getting my degree in design).

Offline SquigglyV

• ladies like superior firepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/17, 08:15:15 AM »
I need a dark theme. This site does make my eyes hurt at night a lot. But yeah it would be silly not to make it optional.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/12/17, 08:47:01 AM »
THere did use to be a dark theme but when the Forum Admin streamlined everything and setup new divisions in the forum (perhaps this was all when the OOC group was cross-posting? I can't remember when exactly...) he forced everyone to this current "standard" and the "dark" and other color options went away.

That was also when the Admin decided to streamline the Wikki and put the current rules of format up (for which there was much discussion) and stopped "allowing" certain ooc information to be put on the wikki pages.

Whether we can go back to personalized profiles or how all that works I have no idea.  But it all happened around the same time as that 'big overhaul'. 

I never got the reason for all the streamlining overhaul and why we couldn't just make whatever Wikki's we wanted to - but that's what the Admin decided he wanted.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/12/17, 09:01:34 AM »
Am I the only one with a light on at night? LOL #LampsFTW :music:

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/12/17, 10:25:55 AM »
Am I the only one with a light on at night? LOL #LampsFTW :music:

LOL naw I have lights on in front of all computers because otherwise it messes your eyes up (and at my old age now gives me headaches if I don't...).

I just happen to prefer darker skins as well - less white glaring at me from the screen.  This forum was "dark mode" before Admin changed everything and all my other forums are too.  I just prefer darker backgrounds :).

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/12/17, 11:51:36 AM »
Oh, I make sure my room is brightly lit. I prefer dark themes on top of that.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/29/17, 09:36:49 PM »
The themes had been worked on and changed once some time ago, as Karmic had described. However, as there was much talk regarding whether or not people liked it, as well as the departure of the previous main administrator of this site, we decided to stick with what BC.org had been used to and has known, and thus rolled back to the original theme.

The overhaul skin is still around but we have not worked on it since then. We do not have as many resources at this time as the admin who had left.

If time and development resources were more available for us again in the near future, this is an idea we'll keep in mind.

Thank you for your suggestions and contributions!
« Last Edit: 05/29/17, 09:47:44 PM by Artisan »

Offline Dezzrevas

• Fear is the mind killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/05/17, 03:48:20 PM »
*puts on old arbiter hat"
The issue with making more changes to the site is the amount of trust needed for the person working on the site would have to have from this community. Along with patients as changes are implemented from both parties. Though this subject should be touched on again. 
~Dezz'revas~ Republic (The Revas Order)
~Dessel'revas~ Imperial (The Fallen of Revas)
21st Sage in ranked PVP Grouped(season 6)

ttp://www.begerencolony.org/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=post;rand=048508ab1e8cfda6f265ab56a8cce19f", "post", 1); // ]]>